PDA

View Full Version : Sign help

wickedx_99@yahoo.com
01-11-2003, 09:14 AM
i have a shopbot but do not make any signs. we are expecting a new baby and i would like to have a sign for his bedroom door of his name. if anyone can use one of the sign programs and can put PAUL on a sign say 18x12 apprx i would appreciate it. i have no idea how hard it is to do. im hoping it is as simple as typing the 4 letters. i do not want to bother anyone if it is more involved than that. 2d is fine since i dont know how to run 3d. i have 1/8" straight bits. THANK YOU!!!!!!

rookie432
01-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Paul,

What software are you running? Maybe we have the same and I can e-mail the design for you and you can work from it. I have both Vector and PartWizard by artcam.

Bill

billp
01-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Paul, here's another idea; why not use software you already have on your machine and carve the sign for your son/yourself? I'd use "Typesetter" which you can access just by typing in a capital letter "T" when you get the command prompt in Shopbot's software. That will take you to a menu that will walk you through some very simple steps to get a true "3-D chip carved" effect. You get two fonts to choose from, and then you can designate the size of your letters, etc. etc. You can also tell it to make the cut in one or two passes by giving the percentage of depth of cut you want on your first pass, etc.It even tells you your finished size.. All you'd need to do this would be a 90 degree router bit, and something inexpensive to practice on ( styrofoam is great for this).
The results with Typesetter are VERY nice, and once people have used it they realize that they CAN do very nice sign lettering, without having to invest in specialty software... Bill P.

stickman
01-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Sear Craftsman JIG type lettering

I'm wanting to do signs in this fashion, I haven't had a chance to experiment. Is it just a matter of machining along vectors. I'm wanting to use a 1/4" bit. It would be nice if Part Wizard would machine down the center of fonts? Any thoughts or comments

stickman
01-08-2004, 11:36 AM

jamesgilliam
01-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Jay,
Will try again to upload picture. This sign was done in Part Wizard and text machined with 1/4" bit. First I machined along vectors and then went back with an area clear to remove the bulk left in the center. Sign is 24" x 36". PW will do some fonts in centerline trace, but I have only used it for V carving. Graphic done with 1/8" bit due to detail. Hope this helps.
James
www.jgremembrances.com (http://www.jgremembrances.com)