PDA

View Full Version : Setting up New Indexer

dougo
04-02-2011, 07:23 PM
I am in the process of setting up an indexer like Brad Winesett's ( http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11532) and have gotten to the point of connecting the motor and driver inside the control box. Brad has been working with me (thanks Brad), but my Shopbot is different than his. Mine is a PRS Alpha. I bought a 3.6 geared asm98aa motor,asd30a-a driver from Kenneth Rychlik and the cables from Shopbot. I'm sure I overlooked it but after browsing through the forum and Shopbot website, I have not seen anything about how/where to connect these inside the control box for an Alpha. If anyone could point me in the right direction to the information or post some pictures inside their control showing the connections, I would appreciate it.

More questions to follow:)

ken_rychlik
04-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Doug,

You need a ribbon cable going from the control board to the driver. Did you get both that cable, and the cable from the driver to the motor?

The 110 volt supply can be daisy chained off of another driver, or you can run another power source to it.

dana_swift
04-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Doug, use the XYZ channels as guides, hook up the indexer in the same way. The ribbon cable orientation will work for the indexer the same as it works for the other channels.

Be sure to use the heat sink grease when you mount the driver. There is a lot of heat generated in those boxes and it must be "vented" to the back of the control box so it can dissipate. This mount must be thermal as well as mechanical.

As you come up with the extra questions there is quite a group of us that enjoy our indexers, and keeps finding new things to do with them.

Keep us posted on your progress, and show off your creations!

D

dougo
04-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I went to the shop last night and connected all wires and cables and then turned the power on. No smoke:) The spindle fan came on as usual and that's as far as I got. So far, so good.

Dana, I've got to read up on this heat sink grease. First I have heard anything about using that.

Gary Campbell
04-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Doug...
Search your favorite electronics or computer site for "Thermal Paste"

dougo
04-04-2011, 03:38 AM
Is there a better/best paste? I searched for "Thermal Paste" on Amazon and came up with @500 results.

Gary Campbell
04-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Doug...
Performance PC's is my go to site for good products. They should have a good selection.

http://www.performance-pcs.com

ken_rychlik
04-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Radio shack will have it.

They may call it heat sink paste.

dougo
05-07-2011, 03:37 AM
Next question.. What would be the best way (switch?) to cut the power to the stepper motor for the indexer when I want to use the lathe motor? As long as the power is on to the stepper motor I am unable to turn the pulley to take the belt off. Right now I am turning the power off at the control panel, taking the belt off the stepper motor and turning the power back on at the control box. There has to be a better way.

I am sure enjoying this indexer but have found out that the Shopbot does not slow down much when it hits the headstock. The headstock and bit come out on the bad end of the deal. Don't ask me how I know:eek:

thanks,

myxpykalix
05-07-2011, 06:08 AM
If it was me i would set it up so you had a physical disconnection from the stepper motor all together. Look up the coupler from a shopsmith:
http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/images/standard_access.jpg
it is #15 in the picture
http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/standardaccess.htm

At that point all you would need to do is slide the stepper motor back a bit disconnet the coupler and leave the rest as is.

EDIT: After writing this i went and looked at brads setup so this suggestion may not be practical unless your stepper was inline withthe lathe head.

dougo
05-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Jack but I don't think it would work either. My stepper motor sits to the side of the lathe just like Brads. I thought it might be possible to put some type of switch between the stepper motor and control box that I could just flip off when I needed, but I wouldn't know where to start or if it is even possible.

Gary Campbell
05-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Doug...
[V] [D] set to 3 axes

You can make a C# file that turns 4th axis on (or off) and assign each to a toolbar button. one click from the control panel each way

bob_dodd
05-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Doug I mounted my stepper on a plate attached to a pc. of 80/20 Aluminum , which is held in place by 2 Tee screws with thumb nuts , I just lossen and slide the stepper to change belts

dougo
05-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Gary, sounds very good, but could you explain or point me in the direction of how to make this C# file to turn the 4th axis on and off?

Bob, I wish I had thought of this when I set mine up.

Gary Campbell
05-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Doug...
First... test that it works the way you want it to by using the VD command and setting axes to 3 and then back to 4. Dont forget that you will have to remove the belt to the stepper so you dont backfeed voltage to the driver.

Once happy with that. from the console:
RA to activate recording
Set VD to 3 axes
Set VD back to 4 axes
RI Inactivate Recording

Save recorded commands (RS)

Open the named saved file in editor
Copy the "VD,xxxx" line that has the 3 in it
In editor, New File
Paste that line
Save the file as CustomX.sbc where x is the number you select

Do the same for the line with a 4.

You need nothing else in the file, but if the first line looks like this:
'INDEXER AXIS OFF
'
VD,xxxx3xxxxxxx

then you will read that under the [C] menu when clicked or "C" is typed

There is more info on the custom files under the help menu

dougo
05-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Gary, that didn't work. I followed your instructions but as long as power was on at the control panel, I couldn't turn the pulley on the stepper motor, whether I had the software set up for 3 or 4 axis.

Bob, I got to looking at my setup and I "had" cut slots in the mount for adjustment. I unbolted the mount and then installed a couple of carriage bolts and knobs like yours. 100 times better than cutting off power at control box:)

I do appreciate your help guys.

Doug

Gary Campbell
05-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Doug...
Now that you mention it, youre right, that wont work! My Bad. VD will enable display and control , not power to the driver. Sorry to waste your time,

myxpykalix
05-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I really think you need to figure out some quick physical DISconnection from the unit. Because if there is any type of backfeeding, ect it would not grab control of the indexer, or if it did there would be no damage.
Here are a couple connectors:
http://legacywoodworking.com/products.cfm?product=82

The other connector, i don't know the name but it looks like 2 rubber donuts with protruding fingers that lock into each other. The nice thing about that fitting is you could tear it up and not destroy anything. Check the legacy site further and you might find it.

steve_g
05-08-2011, 11:38 PM
it's called a spider coupling
http://www.avtronencoders.com/images/jpgs/spider-coupling1.jpg

Steve

dougo
05-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Gary, Anytime I learn something I don't think I wasted my time. I've been wondering how to make a custom file to z-zero on the lathe. Now I know. Thanks again for your help.

Jack, I think you are thinking about a Lovejoy connector. If I had the stepper directly connected to the lathe, that would be perfect. With my pulley system, I don't think it would work. Something would have to be mighty good to beat the way Bob suggested. Not saying there might not be a better way.

Oops, I see Steve beat me to the punch on the connector.