View Full Version : index stopping

kevin
04-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I am trying to get all the bugs out of the indexer. I have a 6" indexer. The wood I am using is 5-1/2" thick x 37" long and I was getting stoppage which was triggering the stop button. My question is : Is the stoppage because the volt is not turned on high enough or I think it is mechanical because I ran it without the wood in and it is turning fine. But, could it be that the head stock is too tight on the metal frame. I think that is the problem. Should there be a washer there or something to prevent this from happening or is this a known problem? It was frustrating because you don't know what it is. Am I at my load capacity with the indexing head?
I have an alpha indexing head.
Thanks in advance for any help.

myxpykalix
04-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I can't comment on the electrical part but bolts too tight holding the indexer to the metal holder wouldn't cause a problem.

Do you hear any noise? Look at the space between the indexer and the lathe chuck. I had a screw come loose and was causing mine to jam up.

If i interpret your description correctly, have a 37" long 5.5" piece would not bog it down to cause a problem (unless its lead!)

Were you getting error messages? If so what were they? Maybe you could post a video of whats happening to youtube?

kevin
04-10-2011, 05:18 PM
thanks

Thats what i did jam it up
Tommorw i.ll fix it

the picture realy help

myxpykalix
04-10-2011, 05:20 PM
glad i could help....

kubotaman
04-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Kevin as a suggestion only, I would have your chuck adaptor reworked so it would not have your set screw tighten directly on the spindle of your indexer. You will find in time that it scores the shaft and makes it hard to remove in the future. I had my adaptor "broached" by a machine shop so it accepts the key in the shaft. The set screw then tightens on the key and not the shaft of the indexer. I also found it to be more exact and eliminated any wobble by the shaft. Doesn't seem like it wobbled much but it did make a world of difference. The procedure by the machine shop is very simple and quite inexpensive. This is a suggestion only. If you look at a simple pulley you will see what I am talking about. I am surprised ShopBot doesn't supply this procedure but they don't. In fact when I talked to them the person didn't understand what I meant. It is a very basic procedure in machining. Hope this helps.

Brady Watson
04-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Alpha indexer adapters are broached & keyed. Older PRT indexers with Standard motors are not.

-B

kubotaman
04-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Brady, I certainly don't want to start a war but my adaptor for my Alpha 12" indexer was not "Broached". I bought it less than 8 months ago. I had to have it done and when I called ShopBot I was told that they didn't come that way nor understood what I was talking about. What difference does it make whether it is a Alpha or not? Why don't all the adaptors for indexers come the same configuration? The shaft on my indexer spindle is 3/4". Since I have the 12" indexer does that make a difference?

Brady Watson
04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Darrell,
No wars...not over an indexer keyway anyway! :D

Yes - It does matter that it is a 12" Indexer - thanks for sharing this because I didn't know! :D The OneWay chuck adapter with broached keyway is a 'ShopBot Special' adapter (what it says on the box) for 6" Alpha indexers. I guess they don't make one for the 18mm/.75" shaft motors.

The difference between the standard and alpha indexers in the past were the difference between a 1/2" shaft and a 12mm shaft. 6" Alpha indexers have a 12mm shaft with key, like the rest of the Alpha 7.2:1 motors. Standard indexers had 1/2" shafts and grub screws.

None of this is law...parts and configurations change all the time.

-B

kubotaman
04-11-2011, 09:38 PM
No wars intended!! I was really surprised that my adaptor didn't come with the "Broaching" since the 12" indexer costs about twice as much! I really thought it was cheap on ShopBots part. I do have to admit that I like quality and to be truthful that is the only thing I have been disappointed in. Guess it really isn't much but since they provide for it on the 6" I would think they would definitely supply it with the 12". Oh well it does make for a better holding power for the chuck. It was galling my indexer shaft a lot so I had it done. My adaptor was made by Oneway manufacturing which is the same company that made my chuck.

Brady Watson
04-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Darrell,
What's the gear ratio on your 12" indexer? 10:1? 25:1?

You did the right thing broaching the adapter...galling the shaft is bad news...plus I am sure it galls your nerves as well seeing it happen :D

-B

kubotaman
04-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Wasn't sure of the gear ratio so I called Frank and he informed me the 12" indexer is 12:1 ratio. Doesn't sound much different than the 6" indexer, 10:1, but it has the different gearbox attached. That is where the more power and accuracy comes into play when turning larger and heavier items.

kevin
04-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the help

It was stupid mistake number lost count.What I am finding out as Darell said there is no or little documation

There is a lot of bugs .But with all that I feel like millon bucks right now .The indexer is humming I think I figured everything out

Its a easy way to a add a new elemt to my work

kubotaman
04-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Kevin, you are wrong in saying I said there is little documentation on the indexer. What I did say there is little doc's on the ATC. I had quite a few problems but the good side is ShopBot has to have one of the best customer support I have ever seen. I have even called on weekends and got help in a timely manner!! Unlike other companies, Legacy for one, ShopBot, in my estimination, is one of the best!! I had a hard time with the indexer understanding what it was doing but in time you will grasp it. If I can anyone can!!

kevin
04-13-2011, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=kevin;109604]
.What I am finding out there is no or little documation .hows that

What Iam saying is I won,t bad mouth shop bot .iTS A VERY GREY AREA INDEXER AND THE DRILL HEAD .That was a stupid mistake I did