PDA

View Full Version : powerstick modification questions

Steve Howden
04-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Hi Shoppy people,

I've got a BT48 alpha with 8' powerstick. I built the table surface from 30mm laminated end grain balsa with vacuumed E-Glass . It's stiff and stable.

However! The table floats resting on the support rollers ie. there is no downwards vertical support out at the table edges. If the weather changes or the Gods sneeze I can get a little upwards flex in the table and it stuffs up my Z axis accuracy (not much but enough to be annoying).

I thought that adding another set of V rollers at the sides, or even spring loaded presser rollers on top would help.
Before I re-invent the wheel, I was wondering if anyone had come up with a solution to this problem?

Thanks, Steve

Brady Watson
04-12-2011, 07:48 AM
A pix-cher is worth 1000 words...

-B

Steve Howden
04-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Indeed you are right Brady. Here we go, see attached.

regards, Steve

Brady Watson
04-13-2011, 07:56 AM
A couple of skateboard wheels mounted on the inside of each table side extrusion would prevent the table from lifting...and be a lot cheaper and easier to implement & dial in.

-B

Steve Howden
04-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks Brady,

My thoughts exactly. This was also what SB suggested. The only potential problem I can see is debris that escapes from the dust boot getting under the wheels and loading things up. Anyhoo, skateboard wheels are cheap enough, so I'll try that and if it works I'll add a brush skirt to keep **** out of the wheels.

I'll post to let you know how I go next week.

Cheers, Steve

gerryv
04-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Steve, Nice graphic! It would be great if you could post a pic and/or updated graphic of the mod. as I'm sure there are quite a number of us Buddy owners that would like to see it.

Thanks much to Brady as well.