PDA

View Full Version : a artist using his brains and comes to me.

knight_toolworks
04-16-2011, 01:21 AM
This is a local artis's work I cut today. it was a battle to get the artwork into a good form. the first time he gave me the files each line was like 3 or 4 lines. they were only about .001 apart. He finally worked it out and ended up with only two lines. so each straight line is a separate line. so the bit goes back and forth on each line lifts and goes to the next one.
I used a 1/16" endmill cutting .09 deep the material is paper stone it only cost 125.00 for the 32x32" piece you see. I have 4 different ones to cut. this one took about 1.5 hours to cut.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/photo2-18.jpg

tuck
04-16-2011, 01:27 AM
I hate it when folks send me files to cut and there are multiple layers of lines on top of each other. DRIVES ME (and my CAD program) NUTS! :mad:

robtown
04-16-2011, 04:57 PM
in V-Carve pro you can right click on a shape and do "select all duplicate vectors" or "select all open vectors"...

These two functions save a lot of time.

knight_toolworks
04-16-2011, 05:47 PM
not on this. the first round all the lines were boxes. but they seemed to be 4 lines.
the second round were two lines. but I could not find a second line. if I went into node editing I could not delete the span and if I selected choose all open vectors I did not get anything. plus join showed them all closed.
but he was willing to pay the extra time so it was nto a problem.
I am used to getting files with dups that seems just an import issue what I hate are open vectors you can't see.

knight_toolworks
04-16-2011, 06:52 PM
not on this. the first round all the lines were boxes. but they seemed to be 4 lines.
the second round were two lines. but I could not find a second line. if I went into node editing I could not delete the span and if I selected choose all open vectors I did not get anything. plus join showed them all closed.
but he was willing to pay the extra time so it was nto a problem.
I am used to getting files with dups that seems just an import issue what I hate are open vectors you can't see.
no biggie it would have been impossible to edit the files it would have taken longer then just cutting it.

bleeth
04-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Although it won't work if the lines are not right on top of each other, if you have autocad and get dxf or dwg's with that issue you can flatten the drawing and then the overlaying dupes are gone.

knight_toolworks
04-16-2011, 07:14 PM
the way the lines were generated was in some odd software. then he imported it into corel I think and exported it forst and a dxf then that sucked with the 4 line thing he did it in a pdf and that was better.
but it was strange if I clicked on a span and deleted it there was nothing under it. in node editing it would not let me delete the span or the node telling me there was only one line. but when it cuts it would start at one end go to the end and return. this was cutting on the line.
I only have two more to cut then he is done with it so he is willing to pay so it is not a big deal. but it left me scratching my head.

tuck
04-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Hey Steve tell us more about the material, "paper stone" if you would. Looks and sounds exotic.

bleeth
04-16-2011, 09:23 PM
www.paperstoneproducts.com

knight_toolworks
04-16-2011, 10:07 PM
here is the info. it cuts pretty well. but at 125.00 for that piece it is very expensive.
http://www.paperstoneproducts.com/