PDA

View Full Version : Inside/outside issues (Node Edit?)

MogulTx
04-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I am having trouble with some functionality in PW. I am using a new version I just loaded, but this occurred before I upgraded- so it is a learning topic for me, not really a new SW problem. The scoop: I am cutting panels that sometimes have radiused corners. These panels are often trapezoids. I cut these to the outside of the lines that I have drawn. The problem is that PW will cut outside the first line, but where it changes to a radius it MAY change to cutting to the inside. ( It seems random, but I am sure the software has a logic to it. I just can't define it for you yet...). I am looking to hold dimensional tolerances that are better than .03, so you KNOW this is a problem when the cutter is .24-.25" diameter!

Things I have tried: (1) Combine the lines in PW using the tool available. Result= bad cut with some segments being cut inside and some going to the outside.
(2) I have used a "combine lines" tool in the drafting software that I use before I even save the DXF. Result: PW does not notice the difference. Still makes erroneous cuts inside and outside.
(3) There is a second type of Tool that allows me to combine multiple Objects into a single entity. I have tried this one as well. Same result.

What I am looking for: A method to be able to define all these line segemtns into a single entity that I can cut in a single cut operation so that the machine is not doing separate ramps for each line, and so it never returns to the 0,0 so that I get a more compact cut file and much less run time.

If that is not possible, I want to learn how to do an edit on this so that I can combine the line segments manually so that I can set up the cuts and check them ( visually, via the cut simulator) and then modify, as needed and eliminate all the repetitious starts... I already go in and tweak files and am willing to do this so I can spend less time on the cut side of things. I am finding that I will use about 75% of my files over again, so I want to get them right so that I don't have to mess with them the next time through...

See the attached pdf to see the latest design I have been working with. For this file, I cut the pockets first then do a peripheral cut through the material outside the lines/arcs shown.

Any direction/suggestions you guys can offer will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Monty

tmerrill
04-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Monty,

What you have is a series of individual lines and Partworks treats these as cutting on the left or the right depending where the start point is for the line segment.

Do this - select all the lines that make up the shape, ungroup them if they are grouped, and press the 'J' key. This is the shortcut key that will bring up the Join Vectors tool. Adjust the tolerance if needed until the bottom text tells you there will just be 1 closed vector after joining. Then click on the join button.

Now you will have only one closed shape to toolpath around.

Tim

MogulTx
04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
That worked like a charm! Thanks Tim, I appreciate it!

Monty

Barnabyriver
05-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I was having a very similar issue thanks for the help!!:)