PDA

View Full Version : Cub Scout Tool Box Project

MogulTx
05-02-2011, 02:25 PM
My brother and I both volunteer with Boy Scouts. His young son is now a Cub, and mine is an Eagle Scout and has "aged out" so he is now assisting on an adult level.

He (brother) asked me about ideas for a tool box project for his Den. I had a few ideas and sketched up a couple things. He liked them, and asked if I could carve their names in the side boards for the tool box to make it custom. I agreed.

He asked about a divider in the box to keep the screw drivers separate from the hammer, pliers, and other tools they will have... Good Idea, so I agreed.

I then suggested that we carve their Pack and Den info into one end of the box. He agreed.

Then we added shallow nail hole positions. And we added an accent line below each boy's name.

We showed pictures of our progress to his wife and she asked if a Fleur de Lis would be possible on the other end of the box? We said "Sure!" I sent my son-the-Eagle-Scout to the internet to find us an appropriate symbol. Wow! Nice logo, but I had to completely redraw it! What should have been a 2-3 hour brother to brother project turned into an all-weekend affair. I (we) finished up around 3:30 this AM. We have not cut bottoms for the boxes ( he can handle that.) Everything else is ready to sand and start assembling.

I have left off the boy's name plated sides- so that no one is uncomfortable with that. The rest is pretty self explanatory.

Material is Clear Pine. Bits are: Onsrud 1/8" bit for nail holes ( 63-602? - I had it on hand...) and a Whiteside 1/16" for carving ( don't have number on me) and a 1/4" x 60 degree V bit ( I believe it is an Onsrud 37-03) and a 1/4" Hartlauer 52-180h for all the cut out work. Total time invested???? Probably 25-30 hours to design and then set up and cut. Worth it? Sure!

MogulTx
05-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Here is a shot of the V Carved letters.

dlcw
05-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Nice job Monty!

Thanks for sharing.