PDA

View Full Version : ceiling fan canopy

steve_g
05-02-2011, 06:24 PM
A customer with a very nice custom home asked me if I could do something about the ceiling fan canopy in their master bedroom. You can see by the “after” photo that the builder out-did himself with the design of the ceiling. The canopy was halfway embedded into the sheetrock taping and bedding with a very ragged finishing job. I designed my solution in “SketchUp” and exported it as a STL. I imported it into PW3D sliced it into 1.5” lawyers and machined it out of MDF. It was my intent to use a split canopy that would clamp onto the down tube to finish off the install, BUT… I have been out of remodeling for a good number of years and the product I had in mind was not to be found! I landed up V-carving a “rosette” on the bottom surface. I bondoed the sides to smooth out the segmented circles that SketchUp creates, textured to match the ceiling’s orange peel and painted all to match. A happy customer!

Steve

dlcw
05-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Wow Steve! That is some ingenuity at its finest.

Great job!

bob_s
05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
nice job
Just because i had the same issue with SketchUp circles, and I hate to do that kind of sanding. I want to suggest that you can find a tutorial on subdividing the SktetchUp model to eliminate a lot of that segmenting. It makes the model really slow on complex scenes, but i think it will work fine on something like this.