View Full Version : Line Drawing transfer

propellers@aol.com
11-14-2003, 09:08 AM
I want to transfer a teardrop shape line drawing from a set of plans. I need the same acuracy as the drawing.

Is there a way to scan this part and build a parts file?

artisan
11-14-2003, 09:19 AM
A scanner and tracing software (Corel, Artcam etc.) are all that is needed....or the original DXF (Autocad) file (even better)....D

Lonnie Prince
11-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Thanks Darrell, I don't have these programs but will look into it

harold_weber
11-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Lonnie,

If you only have a drawing of the shape, you will need to have a scanner and some kind of raster-to-vector converter. Alternatively, you could find someone with a digitizer.

I have a raster-to-vector converter in my CAD program (Design CAD). Design CAD also sells a package called ScanPro which is a converter with a few more knobs to twiddle with.

Is the "teardrop" shape an airfoil? If so, you may be able to locate other data that could be used to create the shape. A lot of the NASA/NACA airfoil shapes were specified with tabular data (pairs of x and y coordinates) which can be used to build the shape; do you have that data? If you do have this data, you can use Part Wizard to get the shape by inputting the points and putting a Bezier curve through them.