PDA

View Full Version : Cut 1/10" clear acrylic plastic

Joseph Mosis
05-14-2011, 01:17 PM
I have an order to cut 1/10" clear acrylic plastic into 1.888" x 1.132" pieces .

what are the tools number, r.p.m, and inches/sec.

Thanks for you support

Joseph:)

MogulTx
05-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Joe,

I have worked in 1/4" acrylic and I use about 1.3" per second max, with .5ips in plunge. and about .02-.03 pass depth depending on extruded or cast and whether I want to go really fine. I also vary a bit depending on the bit I am using. I have used 1/4" ball nose bit for roughing out wide areas. I got a whiteside bit for that- I'll send you a number later, if it will be any use to you. ( not in the shop right now)

Also, with then material like this, it will tend to get pulled up from the table if you are not using vacuum. You may want to use something to mechanically hold it doen or use double sided tape. ( works great from my perspective). This is thin enough that you also want to make sure there are no voids from other projects left underneath it as you cut. The material can flex away from the bit if there are voids underneath it.

Good luck. Report your success, please!

jerry_stanek
05-15-2011, 05:59 PM
I use a pressure foot to help hold my small parts. I made my own but Russ at widgetworks unlimited sells a real nice one.

ATX Poly Products
05-16-2011, 07:35 PM
I cut Alot of .120 polycarb. and for it I use the Widgetworks pressure foot. I cut at 1.5-1.7 IPS 21k with a .125 onsrud up-cut super-o... I also cut a pile of .230 clear lexan-poly with no foot at 2 IPS but two passes with the same bit.. Those parts are large though so they stay put nice

Joseph Mosis
05-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Monty,Jerry, and Adam,
Thanks for everyones input and experience. please let me know the tool Number

Joseph

Joseph Mosis
05-19-2011, 03:05 PM
I will buy the pressure foot from Shop Bot