PDA

View Full Version : Latest Project

michael_schwartz
05-25-2011, 07:58 PM
I built this sign for the interior of my showroom. The design is based on my logo. The blank was glued up from a single piece of tiger maple that was about 12" wide. The blank measured about 20" x 20"

I modeled the texture, and relief using the create shape, and sculpting tools in Aspire. The texture was machined with an 1/8" ball mill. The sign took about 5 hours to machine.I then did a bit of hand carving with gouges, and a pneumatic die grinder to refine the texture a bit.

My next project "pending approval from the town" will be an exterior sign based on the same design.

Here is the finishing schedule

Sealed with target coatings EM-1000, universal waterborne sanding sealer. Applied with a rag. (Used to help prevent bleeding)

Applied a packing tape mask. (Not really necessary as the sanding sealer seemed to do a good enough job)

Applied numerous coats of Benjamin Moore(BEN low VOC) steel wool, flat diluted with a bit of flowtrol, using a cheap disposable artists brush.

Removed mask and sanded the non painted surfaces to 400 grit with a random orbit sander.

Applied 2 coats of target coatings WR4000 (clear base) waterborne stain, to the non painted surfaces. Allowed to dry, and oxidize for about 20 hours. This product contains linseed oil, and gives a look similar to danish oil.

Applied a seal coat of Target Coatings Ultraseal waterborne amber shellac to the non painted areas, using a rag, and disposable artists brush.

Scuff sanded everything including the paint with 400 grit. Wiped the paint down with a mix of 50/50 DNA and H20 to remove dust.

Applied a coat of Target Coatings EM2000 (satin) waterborne hybrid varnish with a rag.

Sprayed the final coat of EM2000 (satin) with my HVLP gun.

marysvillesign
05-25-2011, 11:22 PM
I like it. Thank you for sharing the detail in the processing.