PDA

View Full Version : Residential signs

sleepy
10-22-2000, 08:55 PM
I live in a highly traveled tourist area and have had many requests for red wood residential signs.
I have a few questions before I buy a shopbot.
Can you design a shape in corel, print it as a pattern to cut an a band saw, and then rout a name into it with the shopbot.
Can you rout the letters into the wood and also on another rout the background instead of the letters.
Thanks in advance for helping me with this.
David

scott
10-22-2000, 11:20 PM
David, I am new to CNC use. I purchased a Shopbot in June and have had alot of fun with it. There are other users who can tell you alot more about the operation of a SB, but I can tell you that Yes it will do what your looking to do. You don't need to make a pattern for the bandsaw the SB will take care of that! Letters can be cut raised or recessed. Pictures, shapes, you name it, I still watch the machine work and am still just amazed. I purchased the SB to assist in my custom wood moulding business, specifically the curved moulding, and have found that the tool saves me alot of time in cutting templates. I have also been making a few signs for added income. Hope this info helps. Scott

giggalo@aol.com
10-22-2000, 11:33 PM
David what you want to do will be easy, it would only take a minute or 2 and you will be able to out put the file and cut it in less then 5 minutes, it is just going to be house signs, you will be able to use any style font.

Ron

jarak123@aol.com
05-31-2001, 06:17 PM
Scott ... Letters can be cut raised or recessed. ...

What software are you using to convert into ShopBot? Doesn't seem to be working for us??

dandjassoc
12-04-2001, 09:30 AM
HELP!!!!!! RAISED LETTERS ARE GIVING ME A HEAD PAIN. SO FAR WE CAN NOT GET A HANDLE ON RAISED LETTERS, CAN ANY ONE HELP LIFT THE FOG?

THANKS DAN IN OHIO

Mayo
12-05-2001, 01:11 AM
Actually you want a lowered background. This will give you raised letters. Make sure your bit is small enough so that it can get into the tight corners of your lettering. I have used bits as small as 1/16th in order to get tight looking corners.

What specific problems are you having?

One time saving option is to make a rectangle around your lettering and then pocket or fill it using your smallest bit. You will remove as much of the background depth as you want the lettering to be raised. In other words if you want lettering 1/8 higher than the background, then you need to remove 1/8" of the background. (Apologies if this is too obvious)

Then pocket or fill everything up to the rectangle (at the same depth) with a large bit and this will save time.

Obviously you have to Z zero your bit each time you switch to a different bit.

What software are you using?