PDA

View Full Version : Typesetter

donna@shopbottools.com
05-09-2001, 10:10 AM
How many of you have used the typesetter option in the ShopBot Software? Has anyone come up with any projects to use the typesetter with? I'm still looking for school projects and would like to hear ways you have incorporated the typesetter program with one of your projects.

Thanks!

srwtlc
05-24-2001, 04:26 PM
Hi Donna,

Other than the occasional sign or name board, one thing I used it for was to make up a file for a "Custom Crafted By" signature for placing somewhere on my projects before assembly. I use the windows version though because there is more control over spacing and it lets you see what it will look like. I have one problem with it though, since I rebuilt my shop computer I get a "Run time error 53, file not found" message when I try to generate a file. If Anyone knows what system file I may be missing I would greatly appreciate knowing. One other thing that would be great is to be able to do paragraph text with the same appearance as Typesetter for on plaques, without having to piece together separate files for each line.

Scott

jkforney
05-29-2001, 09:05 AM
Scott
Check out the 30 day demo of Vcarvz available on Vectorcam.com. It is typesetter on steroids and a non crippled version good for 30 days is available. It can do text as you want.

John Forney

srwtlc
05-29-2001, 01:46 PM
John,

I've tried that a little as time has provided, but haven't been able to check it out fully. I did notice I get a error on line so and so with a file made from vector and also some real jerky movement with a file that did load. I may be wrong, but you still can't do paragraph text can you?

Scott

jmw60010@yahoo.com
08-06-2001, 08:10 PM
I am trying to use the Typesetter to create a plaque with seven lines of text. I figured that the best way to do this would be to create each line as a separate file then use the editor to combine the files. My problem is that I can't figure out how to offset the origin for each new line so that they don't end up being cut on top of each other.

From what I understand, Vector 9 does True Type fonts. Would this project be a piece of cake if I upgrade to 9?

ron_cleaver
08-07-2001, 07:12 AM
Jay,

You should get the latest version tts.zip from http://members.aol.com/tesarna/

It allows you to save a file that can be imported into vector (with a .txt extension). Then you can use Vector's features to place each line of text where you want it.

gordon@shopbottools.com
08-10-2001, 03:04 PM
Jay,

To run the lines of text using a part file to position them, you need to use the 2-D offset option in the FP command. This option is the 5th parameter after the filename and for 2-D offset has a value of 2. An example call using the 2-D offset,

FP,S_sblogo.sbp,,,,,2

Insert a line like this with the appropriate filename in it for each line of text after a J2 to get you to the right start position.

Bill G
07-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Can typesetter be used to generate letters down the X axis rather than the Y. Is there a quick and easy fix to this?

rgbrown@itexas.net
07-11-2003, 02:53 PM
You should be able to rotate the text. I saw that done at the Texas CampBot.

Ron

rgbrown@itexas.net
07-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Bill,

Sorry, I am thinking Parts Wizzard.

To rotate text in typesetter one would need to convert the file to "DXF", then rotate in a CAD program and then convert to SBP file. This is a little more involved than most folks would care to do but, it can be done.

Ron

gerald_d
07-11-2003, 03:08 PM
The adventurous types could switch over their motor wiring X>Y and Y>X . . . .

beacon14
07-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the responses miss the point of the question - if I'm reading it right, what Bill G wants is vertical lettering - that is, each letter is oriented as usual, but the 2nd letter is directly below the 1st, and so on.
That's different then just rotating the text as a block.
As far as I know the only way to do that in typesetter is to generate a separate part file for each letter, then run each file, one below the next. Maybe you could make a subroutine that would semi-automate the process.

garyb
07-12-2003, 11:59 PM
Actually David, Bill wants to rotate the block of letters 90 degrees. (His request should have said along the "Y" axis rather than the "X"). He's my part timer doing a little project for his mum and when he asked me I suggested he try the forum.
We don't do sign work but he wants to use typesetter to engrave some lettering to a 2'8" 6'8" salvaged door.
I figured if it could be done some shopbotter has already crossed that hurdle.

edwardmc
07-13-2003, 08:55 PM
Well I just cut along y axis.
What I did was make each letter as a file.
copy and past all the files together.
And add a m3 and z2 command between each program
it looked like this
first program
m3, 0.00, 3.00, .050
z2
next programm
m3,0.00, 6.00, .050
z2
next program
in my case is started with the last letter but you should get the idea. If you want to start at the top just make your y axis -3.00 or what ever space you like.

gerald_d
07-14-2003, 02:23 AM
This is what Bill G is apparently trying to do:

If he is proficient with Excel spreadsheets, he could generate his .sbp file along the x-axis and then use Excel to break his file into separate columns of data. Then swop the x & y colums around and reassemble the .sbp file. Snag is, this is going to give you upside-down (mirrored) text, but then you can put a minus 1 scale factor on the x-axis to flip it back up straight again.

rgbrown@itexas.net
07-14-2003, 07:50 AM
I'd be willing to bet it could be done in almost any spreadsheet Gerald. And, if the person was "Proficient", they could make it an "automatic" operation.

It could also be done in a database. But, what a pain....

Ron

gerald_d
07-14-2003, 08:28 AM
As long as your spreadsheet program can import and export "comma-delimited" text files. A .sbp file is a typical "comma-delimited" file.

garyb
07-14-2003, 10:15 PM
You are right Gerald, your dwg above depicts exactly what Billy wants to do. As Billy doesn't come to work till Wednesday this week I will thank everyone for their help and suggestions and let you all know that a good samaritan came to the rescue with a cut file.
The shopbot family and users are definitely hard to beat.

srwtlc
07-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Do you have Vector? As stated above by 'Ron Cleaver on Tuesday, August 07, 2001' Typesetter will output a .plc file and you can open that in Vector and then cut/paste and rotate around Z. I did this a long time ago while making a 6' growth ruler for hanging on a wall and measuring children as they grow. All the numbers were done in Typesetter and then rotated in Vector.

I'm talking about the windows version of Typesetter. A link is provided above also.

garyb
07-16-2003, 12:11 PM
yes Scott we do have Vector (but only use it for the cam)
We just don't do signs etc. the last lettering we engraved was about a 1 1/2 years ago, we did some directional signs as a donation for the Boy Scouts camp which is just down the road a piece and I think that was the last time we used typesetter. Its one of those things you don't persue until you have a need for it and Billy got the wild bug!

srwtlc
07-16-2003, 04:08 PM
Ooooooh, a wild bug, I hate when that happens. 8-)

srwtlc
07-16-2003, 05:00 PM
If you need some help swatting that bug in Vector drop me a line

Scott