PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE SHOPBOTTER (Canada)

backyard_cnc
06-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Hello to all:

Name is Gerald and I'm a SHOPBOTTER! Hopefully my wife doesn't try to enroll me in a 12 step program so that I might be cured of this Chronic Need (for) Control disease that has taken over my mind :-)

I finally picked up my new to me 2004 vintage PRT96 earlier in the week and got it unloaded and into the shop yesterday. I had made a deal to purchase it over a month ago from a local High School but had to wait for end of classes to pick it up. I had a few moments tonight to reconnect all the motors and hooray hooray she woke up and was moving A-OK. I still have to spend some time leveling and checking the square of the table but a quick check looks not bad and I couldn't resist seeing some movement. I also still have to reconnect the prox sensors on the X-Y which I didn't do right away. Maybe tommorrow............

I am looking forward to becoming an active SHOPBOTTER and forum member. I do have several other CNC tools in the shop including 2 mills and a smaller router but the SHOPBOT way of doing things is a little different so I will need some time to adjust :-). My small router runs under MACH3, my small mill under a proprietary package and my larger knee mill under Centroid's control software. Everybody does things a little different so is a challenge to keep it all straight, but I'm getting there.

Gerald
Winnipeg, Manitoba

gerryv
06-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Welcome abord from the other Canadian Gerald Shopbotter. May I suggest that a leaf blower works as well as anything I've found for blowing the soon to arrive "dust" off all of that nice shiny stainless steel in your shop, heh, heh! Get ready for inches per second rather than inches per minute. :D

backyard_cnc
06-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks Gerald,

I got a nice 2HP 2 stage dust collector for the main dust control and hope to put a secondary unit on the ceiling above the machine for the smaller airborne particles. I might also resort to a dust curtain around the router area when cutting to minimize the dust on the other "Oily" machines. I have other friends who have wood and metal shops in close quarters so hopefully I can keep it under control. By the way the CNC knee mill can jog at 250~300 IPM so its pretty comparable to the BOT but with much shorter travels!

Cheers
Gerald