PDA

View Full Version : ShopBot identification

dennyz
06-16-2011, 10:41 AM
I am new to ShopBots. I was hired to setup and get a machine going. I believe it to be a PRT model, but can't tell if it is an Alpha or Standard. I have looked for a name plate but haven't found one. How do I tell?

dhunt
06-16-2011, 10:48 AM
The only input I can give is that when we recently updated our software
I recall getting a message on the screen that we had a pre-03/01/04 box
and therefore no serial number.

We know our PRT-96 was made in late-2000 (prob. Dec.?)
because it spent Jan.of 2001 on the water, being shipped down to this Caribbean island I'm on
and we were assembling it, kit-style, from parts, in late Feb. 2001.

It's not much.. but you do have a date to work with.

I'm assuming all Bots made after 1st. March 2004 have serial numbers --very cool! ;)

road_king
06-16-2011, 12:19 PM
I have a PRT Alpha.....The control box is Stainless steel...
I think the Standards have a Computer case for the control box.

Gerald

dhunt
06-16-2011, 12:55 PM
I have a PRT Alpha.....The control box is Stainless steel...
I think the Standards have a Computer case for the control box.Now you mention the older computer case models
here (attached below) are two views of our control box from the late-2000/early-2001 era.

dennyz
06-16-2011, 01:17 PM
This is what our controller looks like.

br928
06-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Post a pic with the door open.

road_king
06-16-2011, 02:10 PM
This is what our controller looks like.

That's what my control box looks like on my 2004 PRT-Alpha. Not sure about upgrade from 2000/2001. My PRT-Alpha has a router, I see you have a VFD for a spindle...NICE...

Gerald.

road_king
06-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Post a pic with the door open.

I think Stan's right. If we can see inside the control box and see what drivers for the motors you have, then we can be sure.

Gerald

dennyz
06-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Controller Insides

ken_rychlik
06-16-2011, 06:15 PM
You have an alpha. (that is good)

Are the motors the 911 (non geared), or 98aa t7.2 (7.2 gear reduction)

the 911 motor left a little to be desired, and at one time shopbot offered a cheap upgrade to the 7.2 geared motors.

I have some extra drivers for the geard motors if you end up wanting to upgrade.

dennyz
06-16-2011, 06:22 PM
The motors are ASM911AA

ken_rychlik
06-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Those are the original motors and drivers that they came with. They cut ok, but the resolution left you wanting a bettter cut.

It will depend on how clean and acurate of cuts you want to get out of it. If it is not critical, that machine will cut as is. If you want better cuts, it will get expensive.

The upgrade from shopbot was 750 dollars at the time and you got 3 motors and drivers. (both had to be replaced) That was a heck of a deal.

Now for a single motor driver the cost is over 1 thousand.

If you want to upgrade, I have the drivers you need on ebay right now. The motors are still about 450 dollars each new from oriental motor. Shopbot was only selling motor driver combo's the last time I bought one, but I think they may sell motors alone now.

The geared motor is an ASM98AA T7.2 Vexta

Send me an email if you want to visit about it.

br928
06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
If you want better resolution with what you have, you might consider a belt type reducer. Do a search, some guys have just completed one. Maybe a little more cost effective.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12709

ken_rychlik
06-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Thats right. Dave was in charge of that project. I think gerald was working on the exact same setup you have to try to add belt reductions.

I have seen an ezrouter with belt boxes and I was not impressed. Maybe they didn't use the kevlar belts?? On that one you could pull the gantry easily by hand about 1/8 inch back and forth.

Dave, Did you ever get them installed?

dennyz
06-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks all for helping identify this machine and info on motor upgrades.

Gary Campbell
06-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Denny...
At some point ShopBot started putting a serial number and mfgr date on a label affixed to the control box. Look and see if there is one on or in the control box.

bleeth
06-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Ken: I held off a bit as there were some other botters who asked for a bit of time to come in on the "first purchase" discount and also to get through a couple projects we were doing. Projects are done and ordering parts now as the "hot to trot" botters got pretty quiet when it came down to time to commit! You shouldn't be able to move the gantry easily by hand-something wasn't right. Might have been a few things. Any other comments on this let's put them in the other thread so as not to hijack!!

Denny: Whether your new machine is right for you or not depends a lot on what you plan to do with it. It is an early Alpha and there was a lot of folks who thought the resolution should be better, particularly since it was better on the standard of the same era. A properly built gearbox is the answer that Mike Richards came up with and it worked well for him. It will get down to what you are using your machine for and what your expectations are.