PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Tool Changer

bleeth
06-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Has anyone seen this rig?

http://store.blurrycustoms.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=46

Looks like it is made to partner with the Chinese spindles.

Gary Campbell
06-19-2011, 12:39 PM
You could machine and adapter to your Colombo and write the first review!:D

zeykr
06-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Here is a message from an email exchange with Blurry Customs in Feb:

We do not have an Avenger on a Shopbot yet, so I cannot provide images or video. Let's see if we can get you to be our first!

Yes, the WC22 is Chinese. We found a source for high quality spindle motors there and have been happy with their performance. We also warranty the WC22 and handle all matters in that regard ourselves, so we only get high quality products. If you were to have an issue with the WC22 we would take care of it. It comes with a 1 year warranty.

We can outfit the Avenger with a 5 HP/24,000 RPM 3 phase spindle for $2,300. This would as well be from China, but also warrantied by Blurry Customs.

There are quite a few small items that would need to be purchased in addition to basic spindle and atc - sensors, prox switches etc. It does not seem to have a sensor that tells it a tool is in place etc, so would take mods to make shopbots atc code work. Think it's certainly doable, but will be some extra expense.

Brady Watson
06-19-2011, 02:01 PM
You could also buy a bunch of PC routers, add PID speed control (only 1 controller needed if you do it right) and swap out entire routers the same way... :D

-B

danhamm
06-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Will that be the top mount router changer or the side mount...?

michael_schwartz
06-20-2011, 06:39 PM
I wonder how cost effective this would be compared to just buying a Chinese ATC spindle.

If it could be made to work with a Columbo or HSD without spending too much it could be a nice upgrade. Starting from scratch though it seems like you might just be able to buy a rebuilt ATC spindle when its all said and done.

Certainly does seem interesting. Any prospect of a lower cost ATC is tempting. However if I really needed one for production I would want the most reliable option.

bleeth
06-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Michael:
Columbo is an ER25. The avenger is built to marry to an ER20. The dimensions of the area the Avenger needs to clamp to are also different. It was designed to go with a particular spindle size. By the time you got done adapting it to a Columbo you might as well do what Gary suggests.

My question was based on not to adapt but to change out altogether.