PDA

View Full Version : Guitar plans

dustin3546372
07-18-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm new to the shopbot world and I wanted to use it to make a solidbody electric guitar. I've seen that other people have done this, but is there some place I can get some CAD files online, or do i have to manually draw each plan? Any help would be greatly appreciated because i have no idea where to start.

brian_harnett
07-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Lots of info here.

http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/links.htm

rcnewcomb
07-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Keep us updated on your progress. I'll be doing similar work starting in September.

trakwebster
09-07-2005, 08:56 PM
You know, guitar plans are sold by companies such as Stewart-McDonald, and I'm sure an internet search would find many others.

If you own or have access to a wacom tablet, and any ShopBot-useful drawing program or CAD program, you could probably just reduce the plans at Kinkos, then trace on the Wacom into the art program, then tweak to your heart's desire. (I think.)

dingwall
09-07-2005, 10:42 PM
I'd start by learning CAD. Rhino is your best bet for flowy shapes like guitars.

Truthfully though, a CNC machine isn't the best tool for a single guitar as you can easily burn up a half a dozen bodies trying to get your first one perfected. A CNC machine is the tool to use for production runs where you need multiples of the same part.

Templates and jigs are another story. A CNC machine makes template and jig construction a real breeze.