PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Linoleum?

wayneo
08-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Hi,
I see lots of wierd materials that people are cutting with their shopbots, like stone, bricks, PVC, arylic, plastic, and so on....

Has anyone had any success cutting Linoleum?

I am trying to cut some stuff called "Battleship Grey Linoleum". It is used in making print reliefs (artsy stuff).

It is about 1/8" thick flexible stuff (like linoleum) with a woven jute like stuff on the back. I understand it is made of pressed cork dust and other stuff mixed with linseed oil.

The stuff seems to cut fairly well on the surface, but as you get deeper into it, it wants to be gummy. Sort-of like it is not completely cured. The result is that the lower you go, the gummier it gets and does not leave a clean finish. Requires a lot of detail work to clean it up.

I was wondering if anyone might know of an alternate material (not to expensive) that would be more suitable to CNC carving? Does not need to be flexible (like linoleum). Ideally, it would be a material that could be thicker (like 1/4" or even 1/2") and more firm. I am thinking that some kind of plastic material might work better, but that is not in my field of knowledge.

So, recommendations Please...... Material type, sources of supply, bit styles, feeds and speeds welcome as well!

Thanks,

Wayneo

Brady Watson
08-24-2006, 02:36 PM
While I can't tell you an exact formula to use, I would suggest trying to use an air hose blowing on the bit to keep it cool. Doing this by hand (holding it) is usually ineffective and tedious. Rig up something that can blow on the bit unattended.

I don't know your application, but Komatex comes in a few different shades of grey as well as pastel and primary/solid colors & it cuts like butter.

-Brady