PDA

View Full Version : Spindle assembly problem!

robertandrew
07-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi,

I'm building my first Shopbot for the new Fablab in Yogyakarta and i have a slight question/problem.

The thing is I'm trying to put the spindle on the Y axis with 6 screws, in the manual they say you have to pull down the Z axis and then tighten them al.

The problem is it's almost impossible the reach the 2 top screws because it won't be able to come down more.

Is this normal or is there another way to do this...??

Thank you,

Robert

srwtlc
07-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Is it possible that you can remove the Z axis top stop bolt to allow it to drop down further? I'm not sure what SB is using there now, but I can do that with mine. If it pulls out of the rack/pinion, just push it back in when done tightening the top two bolts and then put the stop bolt back in. Do this with the machine powered off.

robertandrew
07-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Hi Scott,

This was also an idea of mine to do that, but my worries are about the bolt that i have to loosen then, will it not fall down in the structure and I won't able to fasten it again?

If no, thanks a lot!

I'm using an PRSstandard by the way. Latest version out of the Shopbot Factory I suppose.

Robert

ken_rychlik
07-11-2011, 10:47 AM
On mine there is a plate with 6 bolts that mounts to the spindle. Then that plate bolts to the z slide with 4 bolts. Are you missing the plate between the two, or did they change it up?

robertandrew
07-11-2011, 11:37 AM
@ken_rychlik

I think they changed it, because the manual explicitly says that 6 holes are premade en then you have to put the spindle in these 6 holes with the attached bolt i got.

There are no other parts i think.

I attached the manual for you to see.

robertandrew
07-11-2011, 11:41 AM
@ken_rychlik

Maybe your right that I see the picture of the manual that I attached. I will search for the plate I think, should be somewhere I think then.

Thanks for the tip..

Brady Watson
07-11-2011, 02:02 PM
The problem is it's almost impossible the reach the 2 top screws because it won't be able to come down more.

Is this normal or is there another way to do this...??

Yes. Get the 3/16" Hex key provided by SB & loosen the rear-facing cap screw at the very top of the Z axis gear rack. Then carefully push the Z all the way down so that the spindle will rest on top of the table - Keeping in mind that you are going to lose mesh between the rack & pinion and basically be freewheeling from about 1.5" to the top of the table - so don't ramrod your new spindle into the table! Put a piece of foam down 1st.

Use a square to line up the side of the spindle body to the steel crossmember of the machine.

When you are done - replace the stop/cap screw.

-B