PDA

View Full Version : Hickory wall unit

dlcw
07-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Delivered this to customer on Monday this week. They loved it. :D

Made from solid hickory and hickory gold-ply plywood.

Unit measures over 9' long and almost 8' high. Back of upper unit is 1/2" solid hickory v-grooved tongue and groove. Upper unit weights about 300 lbs. Blum soft closing hinges. Lower units top is made from 10' long piece of hickory gold-ply plywood. Had to cut this one on the table saw. 'Wally' only cuts up to 8'. :(

Designed in eCabs, cut from SBLink. Lots of problems in getting parts cut right, lots of wasted material because of having to recut parts. Thinking hard on what to do going forward....

myxpykalix
07-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Bee-uutee-full:D
I imagine using the shopbot link is alot like riding a bike. Just starting out you're bound to get a few "scraped knees" but once you learn, it will become second nature to you!:rolleyes:

kartracer63
07-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Bravo! Nicely done Don!

Gary Campbell
07-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Nice job Don. Thanks for posting. You and the custome should both be proud.

CNYDWW
07-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Outstanding job, you don't see too much hickory up here. It's all maple, oak and cherry. Cherry being the big one that everyone is so surprised at the cost of, maple second.

Keep up the great work
Regards
Randy

kevin
07-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Its looks good the span om top it is different nice touch .The color looks first rate.

Thanks for posting

wberminio
07-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Great job!
As far as using ecabs or any other program(KCD in my case),
when you work out the kinks-you'll never look back.

Keep up the good work!

john_hartman
07-14-2011, 07:28 AM
I like it. The design is well balanced and the stain looks really even. Whats your process?

dlcw
07-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the complements everyone. I have to credit the interior designer I worked with for the overall concept and proportions. I did the detail design in eCabs.

As far as eCabs and SBLink, I've been using both for over 2 years now. I've had some successes with the pair and some real challenges/non-successes with the pair. For this particular job I couldn't get a reliable out put from the sheet flip operations of SBLink. Even though I've got physical hard stops on both X and Y axis, flip operation dados wouldn't line up properly. I ended up cutting several of the reverse side dados using a hand router and straight edge (the old fashioned way) and wasting a lot of expensive hickory plywood. Very disappointing.

But the customer and the interior designer were both very thrilled with the final product.

John - as far as the finishing process, I use Daley stains and ML Campbell Duravar conversion varnish. The stain is applied with a foam brush and then wiped with a lint free rag until even coverage is achieved. Pretty easy actually. I 5-piece door takes about 3 minutes per side to color.