PDA

View Full Version : E-Chain upgrade... YIPEE no more cable arch!

backyard_cnc
07-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Well, I haven't really had much time to use my recently acquired 2004 vintage PRT96 but I knew the flexible wire arch just had to go! It may have been functional and cost effective but it is ugly! A little auction hunting on ebay a few weeks ago yielded two suitable pieces to retro fit not only the Y axis arch and but as well a second piece to also tidy up the X axis. $117 including priority postage is good value for little money. Within an hour of the post office delivery today I had retrofitted the Y axis arch and I am very pleased with the way it turned out and with the much more pleasing and professional look of the table.

I have attached a few pictures to show the old and new together and then a lower shot of the IGUS E-Chain showing the simple 1" flat bar supports I used to keep the chain level. I have since migrated the cables into the chain and all works excellent. The Y axis chain I used is 62 long over all. The larger piece I obtained for the X axis is 78" overall!

Gerald :D

backyard_cnc
07-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Not sure why both photos didn't upload but I'll try the second one again here. Hopefully second time a charm! The support bars are bolted to the Y axis car with 10-32 socket head bolts. I drilled and tapped the holes as required. Seems very solid and should provide years of trouble free service.

Gerald

gc3
07-14-2011, 10:13 AM
welcome to the club....may not run better but sure looks "modern"

backyard_cnc
07-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Yup "MODERN" is a good way to describe it. Hopefully I can get to work on the X axis upgrade on the weekend and complete the project.

Cheerio
Gerald