PDA

View Full Version : Prt alpha x motion problem

Chuck Keysor
07-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Hello Everyone. I am continuing to test my newly reassembled PRT Alpha, and the next step was to test that the X1 and X2 motors both move in the same direction.

I disconnected the X1 motor plug and entered the command MX2. The gantry moved in the correct/positive/right direction. But as soon as the move was complete, the red "inp 4" LED began to flash.

I repeated the command with a new value, but the gantry didn't move at all, and I got a message "Driver/Motor Fault! Location??"

I powered down the control box, unplugged the X2 motor and plugged in the X1 motor. I powered up the control box, reset it and got the same results as I did with the X2 test.

So what do I do next? I am again, clueless. :confused: Thanks for your assistance. Chuck

Brady Watson
07-28-2011, 02:55 PM
You can't just unplug motor wires like that. If one of the X motor cables is unplugged from the driver, then an alarm is triggered and you will lose communication with the box - it is a safety thing.

I've never seen an Alpha where the X motors go in opposite directions. This could be a problem on a Standard, but not an Alpha. Just hook it all up, make sure the e-stop is connected and get that thing running. Don't be scared. It's hard to really mess anything up.

Make sure the hard stops are clamped to the gear rack at each end.

GLUE don't screw your spoilboard down to the support board.

-B

Chuck Keysor
07-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Thank you Brady! As soon as I read beginning of your reply, it made sense. I got tripped up with the PRT manual concerning how to deal with the reversed direction of the Y car, and was confused by the the PRT manual references to gray connectors, when in my converted PRT alpha they are white.

So, I should have said then, ditch the PRT instruction manual. But instead, I continued along, which is why I was testing one motor at a time. (Along with the PRT manual, came a small set of instructions on how to convert the PRT to a PRT alpha. That only has a few trouble shooting tips.)

There are lots of instructions in the nice big PRT manual that came with my machine. Should I continue to refer to this manual?

I need lots of help, as I don't know what I am doing. But if the PRT manual will confuse me more as I learn about my PRT alpha, what should I use in its place? Or is it OK for everything else except the initial testing? Your advice is appreciated!

Thanks, Chuck

Brady Watson
07-28-2011, 04:23 PM
The manual is fine for most mechanical things that you will encounter. Only the electronics are different, as well as the software configuration settings in SB3. Other than this, you should be fine.

I would encourage you to reach out to another ShopBot owner in your area who is willing to be your mentor until you get up & running. Maybe some of the owners in your area will read this thread & proactively reach out to you. ShopBot may be willing to give you the names and numbers of owners around you if you call.

-B

Chuck Keysor
07-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Thank you Brady.

a) I connected both the X1 and X2 motors at the same time, and performed the X moves without any problems. I feel better now, in that I was very careful in connecting everything, and so I hoped that would pay off when it came time to turn the machine on. Now I can bundle up all the wiring, and close all the little doors on both eChains. I knew that I did that before I got the machine to run, that I'd have to cut it all apart!

b) When I ordered the eChain from ShopBot a few weeks ago, I did ask if there was anyone in my area. They gave me three comapny names, the closest one is about 35 minutes away from me. I will give them a try.

c) I have other questions, which I will post in a new thread.

Thank you again Brady for your help. I really appreciate it. Chuck

Brady Watson
07-28-2011, 08:20 PM
No problem Chuck. I was once new to all this stuff too.

-B