PDA

View Full Version : Panel Saw Project

erik_f
07-22-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a BT48 and am currently thinking about some sort of panel saw to rip 4x8 sheets down to size easily. I don't want to buy a panel saw, but I am interested in making some sort of compact design to simply rip sheets into 2'x4' chuncks. I have a few ideas as how this can be done, but wanted to hear if anyone else was doing something similar. I know there are some guide systems out there for circular saws...but that requires putting the sheet on saw horses or hanging off the back of the pick up. What I would like is something I can set the sheet on and rip it without having to worry about large slaps of plywood hitting me in the shin...much like an industrial panel saw.

Erik

signsbyjay
07-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Erik,

I bought this set of plans but have not yet built the saw. The plans are very complete.

http://www.plansnow.com/dn3087.html

Jay

brucehiggins
07-22-2008, 07:50 PM
I bought the kit for the one Jay mentioned and built it a year ago. It works great.

erik_f
07-22-2008, 08:32 PM
What does the kit include I already bought the plans thaks by the way guys

brucehiggins
07-23-2008, 01:53 AM
The kit had all the hardware except the conduit. I modified mine and used 1" x 2" tubing instead of conduit.

erik_f
07-23-2008, 09:06 AM
I was thinking about the kit...but didn't know if it was worth it...but it looks like it came together nicely Bruce. I have to call today to find out if anything has changed since you bought the kit. I have a table saw...but if this works out I think I might sell it for a smaller table top unit.

coach
07-25-2008, 09:21 PM
looks like a good tool. I have priced panel saws for 2,000.00.
Will the saw hold 12' stock. (Sink deck is 25" x 145")
Does anyone know what the depth of thefootprint is?

brucehiggins
07-25-2008, 09:48 PM
THe depth of the footprint is 27" though it folds flat to about 8-10" when not in use. It will accomodate any length sheets. I made some slideout extensions (see wheel in lower picture) that easily slide back in when not in use. The plans call for attached extensions that you can see on their website. I too priced panel saws and decided this was a good alternative. I made mine so I could adjust the alignment and it cuts a precise 90 degree cut. I have used it for ripping once - it works fine for that but I would just as soon use my table saw. The worm-drive skilsaw I used has a conveniant handle. I taped the on/off trigger in the on position and plugged the saw into a Rockler on/off switch which is attached to the side of the panel saw near the top. It took a few days to make but that included several modifications.
Bruce

coach
07-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks Bruce, I am ordering in the next couple of days.
Do you recall the wall thickness of the rectangular tubing you used in place of the conduit?
Thanks everyone for sharing the information.

Dave

brucehiggins
07-26-2008, 10:15 AM
David,
It was 1/16".
Bruce

erik_f
07-27-2008, 08:58 AM
I was also thinking of trying to use some of the t-track aluminum that people have used for hold down.

myxpykalix
07-27-2008, 09:09 AM
eric..if it is the stuff like you get from Grizzly, that to me would seem to be too flimsy. I would recommend something like 8020 extruded aluminum:
http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Garage-Sale
You might go to your local lowes or homedepot because they usually have a panel saw for cutting for customers and go see what they use.

erik_f
07-27-2008, 05:57 PM
At the home depot they use a SafetySpeed Cut. These run about 1500 to 2000 for the low end model. The also make something called the Panel Pro which would be perfect if I could find a used one. These sell for $800 plus shipping (around another $150)...I was hoping to devise something simple and cheap. This would be more to rip board down to size to put on the machine that for accuracy cutting. I might just make a stand for sheet goods and use the circular saw by hand.

wberminio
07-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Check on craig's list for used saw

Erminio

mitch_prest
07-27-2008, 09:27 PM
I just came across plans for a panel saw in Shopenotes issue #88.. that's aug 2006 .. I do have it on PDF if you want to take a look.. I can send you just the saw pages..

mitch

cabnet636
07-28-2008, 06:40 AM
i built a version of this in 87 or 98 and it lasted for years!!! we eventually were able to afford sliders and then on to cnc,
http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/088/videos/the-ultimate-shop-built-panel-saw/

erik_f
07-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Mitch,
That would be great! James thanks for the link. Gathering a ton if ideas...I know its really not that complicated...but I'm working in a pretty small space and want something simple and compact.

coach
07-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Bruce, Jay, James,

Do the plans include a place for dust extraction?
Thanks, Dave

brucehiggins
07-28-2008, 05:22 PM
David,
The one I built did not.
Bruce

bleeth
07-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey guys-Look at your ShopBot!!! For a panel saw that only slides up and down you can get a great system out of hardened rail and v-bearings mounted on angle iron or extruded aluminum. For the one that James showed above its like adding an x to the y gantry and saw plate. Check with Superior Bearings for the rail and bearings. Those parts for the basic would cost you a few hundred bucks. The overall framework could also be done out of angle iron and rectangular tube or c channel and be indestructable as well as cheap. Drill, countersink, and bolt and the whole thing is knockdown. Weld and it never moves. Make "interchangeable" mounting plates and you can have it as a panel saw and a panel router.
Mount a plunge router and you have built yourself a "hand-operated" cnc. Add some steppers and a driver board and you have a Shop-bot hanging on the wall!!!
(apologies to Ted-I'm no GD trying to start another MM.
.)

cabnet636
07-29-2008, 07:33 AM
unless one would be cutting large amounts of panels i would consider the festool saw system!!

a vertical saw can be made of simply wood guides for saw plates to sit squarely in and counter balanced with a pvc pipe filled with shotgun shot.