PDA

View Full Version : Black Box Computer?

Gary Campbell
08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I am in the testing (2 weeks in, with no problems) phase of my new SB control computer. Using a dual core Intel Atom processor on a mini ITX form factor mobo. Dual 80Gb hdd, 4Gb ram,(XP uses 3) USB 3.0, DVI-D & HDMI out, 6 ch audio. Mounted in a 1.3U rack chassis that measures 17w x 2.5h x 10d.

These are normally passively cooled, but I added 3 interior fans to ensure great cooling. Makes 7 total with the PS fans.

Mounted it into a black melamine box that holds the computer and my SB Link sheet and label printers. Not shown is the plexi slide lid that covers printers when not in use. My old desktop 27" monitor was starting to burn in from the desktop, so it was converted to SB use.

Box is bolted to the top of a cheapie rollcab that will hold bits, wrenches, all things ShopBot.

Performance is not up to the level of my Core i7, but way above the P5 quad core it replaced. 37 sheet twd nests in 11 seconds. (the link guys will understand)

Heres a few pics:

COBOB
08-03-2011, 02:25 PM
That is a pretty slick operation. Should be more than enough horsepower. I recently got a new control computer. It has USB 3.0 built in. I was using the Shopbot supplied USB hub. Just for grins I took it off and I had faster communication with the Bot. It was scoring 76 with the old box, 83 without the hub. I am loking forward to a lot of new products with USB 3

I really like your rack mount. Great idea, and one I may follow.

Thanks

Bob

Gary Campbell
08-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Robert...
It does seem to do a good job. Stripped down XP is under 50meg of RAM used. Next I will put in Win 7 and see how well it trims down.

I do think there is something to the USB 3.0 controller. I did a quick test with some extensions and pulled over 76% with 42 ft of usb cable to the controller. Didnt run it long, but did run it fast.

Also found out just how violent a reaction there is when you pull out a thumb drive while jogging.

COBOB
08-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Whoa, never seen a 42 foot USB. I didn't think that was possible. It sounds like you are really on to something good there.

Thanks for showing it.

Bob

curtiss
08-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Seems like it may still need a few online high def "Gary cams" which would show the bot and the keyboard. :)

Brady Watson
08-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Seems like it may still need a few online high def "Gary cams" which would show the bot and the keyboard. :)

You might catch him scratching his butt or something...and that would blow his whole mistique of genius thing right out the window. :D

Robots put his pants on...Robots dude. :cool:

Gary: Slick job on the cpu integration. As always - 1st class!

-B

dhunt
08-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Surprised to see a Hard Drive in the mix, full of mechanically-spinning platters. :cool:

Woulda thought a Solid State Drive more appropriate for a futuristic machine
or would a SSD be inappropriate for some reason?

Gary Campbell
08-04-2011, 10:29 AM
David...
I'm too cheap! The case comes with a bracket to mount two 2.5" drives, but just one would cost more than the rest of the parts combined. I ended up making a plexi bracket to hold the 2 SATA drives (used from stock)

Nothing futuristic about this. I had seen some posts that these mini boards didnt perform well. After looking at some specs I decided that they should work easily. This particular board is designed for home theater use. Any machine that can process HD video will have no problem with CNC code.

What is set on the soft switches and services appears to be possibly more important than the processor itself. Good bus speed, USB controller and RAM all play their parts, too.

With the extra load put on the system by the SB Link system, I need to pay attention above and beyond what a "normal" user would.

Here is what we SB Link Users have for a USB tree:

dhunt
08-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I bought a 64 Gb. SSD by Crucial in NYC -in Oct.
Cost me just under $200, from a serious tech place on 6th? Ave.
Still haven't used it. Still in original packaging.

Next HD crisis I have, on whatever machine
will probably get this SSD in it.

Imagine the response time from such a drive
running nothing but an OS and SB (or Mach) control software on top of the OS.
Should be super quick!

Is there such a thing as too quick??
Has anyone used a Solid State drive in a Shopbot control computer?

Brady Watson
08-04-2011, 09:41 PM
It would make zero difference on a control computer if you ran a SSD. The controller buffers the commands.

On a workstation, the speed difference would probably be too small to notice any real difference right now. In a few years time, that may be different. At the rate I fill up drives, I go broke with SSDs. They are sexy, silent and give you braggin' rights...but only within the company of uber geeks...

Besides...It pays to wait a couple years with new technology. Glad I didn't rush out and buy laser video discs or Betamax... :D

-B

dhunt
08-05-2011, 07:14 AM
It would make zero difference on a control computer if you ran a SSD.
The controller buffers the commands.

On a workstation, the speed difference would probably be too small to notice any real difference right now.
In a few years time, that may be different.
They are sexy, silent and give you braggin' rights...but only within the company of uber geeks...

Besides...It pays to wait a couple years with new technology.
Glad I didn't rush out and buy laser video discs or Betamax... :D
Brady..

That's about what I thought. ;)