View Full Version : "The Reader" Magazine Rack

mtylerfl
08-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Hello,

Here is the July 2011 project I created for Aspire owners, and is available as a FREE download, courtesy of Vectric! http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/projects/july-2011/magazine_rack.htm

• I created the design/layout using Vectric's Aspire software. The project is compatible with the current version of Aspire (Aspire 3 at the time of this writing).

• I used a ShopBot PRSAlpha BT48 to run this project and the toolpath settings were specifically for that machine and bits I used. You can make changes to suit your particular machine, bits, etc.

This customizable project enables you to change the magazine rack's front and back cover text with your own wording using Aspire 3's handy Text Tool and Distort Between Two Curves option. By also using the "Project toolpath onto 3D model" option in the V-Carve/Engraving Toolpath form, the v-carved text follows the contoured surface of the magazine pages!

The overall finished dimensions of the rack are about 18½"w x 13¼"h x 9¼" d.

I used the following bits...
Roughing: 1/4" Down-Cut EM
Finishing: 1/8" 1° Tapered BN
V-Carves: 90° V-Bit (0.75" dia.)
Cut Profiles: 1/4" Down-Cut EM

Here’s what I used on “The Reader” Magazine Rack sample made from Red Oak and Maple:

• Minwax Red Oak stain #215 on End Panels (stained before assembly)
• Minwax Natural stain #209 overall after assembly
• 4 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic gloss spray

Special thanks to ShopBot and Vectric for making this project possible!

bleeth
08-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Very cute-Although for some reason I would probably change the back page text!!!