PDA

View Full Version : "LinkerLogs" files from the Maker Faire available

bill.young
06-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey,

Those of you that were at the Maker Faire in San Mateo got to see the big pile of plywood building pieces that we cut throughout the weekend on the 48 Buddy, and all the cool things that the kids were building with them.

We have always intended to make the files available for them but knew that we couldn't come up with enough cool ideas for new pieces to keep things growing, so we decided to use the modular size and slot spacing as the basis for an "open design standard", so that anyone can not only download and cut their own standard sets from us, but also design additional pieces that they can be sure will fit with any other. The only condition is that you have to make your new files available back to the community, even if you want to sell them.

We've put together a still-evolving web site (with an incredible amount of help from Angus Hines) at www.linkerlogs.com (http://www.linkerlogs.com) that has info, pictures, and files to download in several formats. There's also a forum where ShopBotters can volunteer to cut sets for worthy causes..schools, day care centers, etc...or groups that are looking for a set can post a request.

Here are a few pictures...there are much better ones on the website!

Enjoy,
Bill (and Angus)

wberminio
06-16-2009, 08:19 AM
This is great!
Thanks Bill and Angus

wberminio
06-16-2009, 08:21 AM
One Question.
Did you have to sand each piece?

bill.young
06-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey Erminio,

Thanks. The blanks that I brought from my shop were a BC pine ply called AraucoPly, and they didn't require any sanding at all...other than cutting the tabs with a laminate trimmer they were used straight off the tool. That's also the material that we've been cutting the PhysicalDesignCo buildings out of and I think Lowes may be selling it too.

We cut up all I had brought on Saturday and bought some pre-cut 2x4 pieces from HD for Sunday. The edge cuts were clean but there was a little fuzzing on the face veneers, especially around the score numbers on the angled pieces, and they needed a quick lick with a sheet of sandpaper. A couple of dads and Martha did the sanding while the kids were building!

Bill