PDA

View Full Version : Control Box mods

fsrdoug
08-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Finally got the bot up and running again after a few "minor" mods.
All I wanted to do was clean up some of the cable clutter make room in the control box for relays to power up the router and dust collector. That old computer black box just wasn't going to cut it.
Since I live in Silicone Valley I have easy access to anything used in the computer industry so I picked up a rack mount drawer with filters on all the fans. Then some e-chain, DB9 connectors, assorted hardware and crimp connectors and proceded to take things apart.
I still have a couple of cables to make then redo the back panel and make a new front panel.

fsrdoug
08-23-2011, 09:45 PM
The best part is that I only have one USB cable from the bot to the work station and all the cables separate from the control box quickly and neatly.
Next up is a printed circut board to do away with the cables from the DB9 connectors to the control board.
And maybe actually get the relays for the router and dust collector hooked up which is where this started. Did I mention that this went from minor to not so minor when I tripped over the cables while I had every thing apart and made a lot more work for myself.

gc3
08-23-2011, 10:06 PM
...there is a driver missing :eek:

gerald_martin
08-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Nice work Doug. It looks like your mind has been active. Ever hear of a solution in search of a problem? Seriously, I think you did a very good job.

Gerald

fsrdoug
08-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Gene
Not missing just moved. I have a bad solder connection on the Z axis so I moved over to A until I can spare a couple of weeks with the Bot down. Been saying that for two years now.
Gerald
My brain is always looking for a problem to solve weather it needs it or not, this one has bothered me since the first day I set up the Bot. Now I can move on to the really serious stuff like air operated setup stops. Found a bunch of air rams the right size for $6 each new. gotta love surplus outlets.

Doug Dodd
FSR Custom WoodWorks