PDA

View Full Version : 3D newbie

tlempicke
08-28-2011, 07:43 AM
I sure would like to bu Aspire and learn it but the 2K price tag puts me off.

Would it be possible to buy one of the clipart files, open it up with Partworks 3D and re-size it to fit my project?

From what I see Partworks 3D will just take an existing file that is 3D and allow you to create a SB toolpath. Is this correct?

bob_reda
08-28-2011, 07:47 AM
I am not sure about about partworks. But if you buy a vector art 3d item James has a free 3d program that will let you do things to the model and create toolpaths for them. I don't know if partworks is like the v carve pro or the cut 3d. If it is like v carve pro it will not create toolpaths for a 3d item, it will let you import 3d toolpaths into it but they cannot be changed when done.

Bob

kevin
08-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Remeber part works 3d can handle about 90 per cent of 3d models .
When you start out it confussing all the formats

Also thats not talked about here is artcam express starting at 149.00 then you buy the modules that you need .I tried it it ended costing me 650.00.But there no libary.

Also you can use 3d max files in 3d part works .A lot of artits post there work for free it lets you pratice

tmerrill
08-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Hi Tom,

You can do exactly what you want with Partworks 3D. If you just want to practice, you can download the free models from the VectorArt3D website. You can also use Partworks 3D to prepare files and then import into Partworks to make very complex designs consisting of both 2D and 3D toolpaths.

If you go to this link you can download the free 3D Models.

http://www.vectorart3d.com/machinist_free/

On this page there is a PDF tutorial (#19) about bringing Cut3D/Partworks 3D projects into Partworks/VCP:

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/support/aspire3_vcp6/aspire3_vcp6_tutorials_tut_mach.html

You first need to prepare the 3D model in PW 3D and calculate the toolpaths. Then you import this file into Partworks/VCP and incorporate it into your design. You are only importing the 3D toolpaths and a 2D bitmap image into Partworks/VCP but once they are imported you can position the 3D part where you want it, change its size in X and Y, and flip it.

Before Aspire, this was how I did almost all my projects and it works great.

Tim

cowboy1296
08-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Tim gave you good advise. i am still somewhat of a rookie but i used partworks 3d all the time and import them into partworks 3.0.

the tool paths that you generate in 3d will be part of the file that you import into 3.0.

i am sure there are more qualified on here then me but if you generate a file and want someone to look over you shoulder then post it or send it out for advise.

the down side with 3d is time. i use a 9% step-over and am currently using a depth of cut of 1.1 and a feed rate around 3.0. i just recently purchased some engraving bits from precise bits and i think as time goes on i might increase my dept of cut. but a real detailed file vs its size can cause you to have to cut for hours.

@tim. I am thinking of buying aspire but have put it on the back burner for a while. But am i understanding correctly that you can resize an imported 3d file in partworks 3.0. if you can i certainly do not know how so enlighten me.

dan_nelson
08-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Tom, Take the plunge and dont look back Aspire is worth the cash we use it every day. Dan and Bridget Nelson

cowboy1296
08-28-2011, 10:39 AM
You people that know correct me if i am wrong, but if you are a legit owner of partworks 3.0 then to buy aspire it is 1500 dollar upgrade through shopbot. a little different then 2k.

tmerrill
08-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Hi Rick,

You cannot change size by dragging, you need to use the Set Size tool and input the new X or Y dimension that you want.

This will only change X and Y, not Z. In other words, if you import a model with a Z of 0.5" and change it's height/width with the Set Size tool, the Z would stay at 0.5". The only way to change Z would be to go back into Partworks/Cut3D/Machinist, make the Z change and recalculate the toolpaths.

Tim

cowboy1296
08-28-2011, 11:12 AM
man that helps a bunch. z has never been the problem but generally tweaking the x and y has been and i have been going back to partworks 3d. to tweak it. you just saved me some time.

kevin
08-28-2011, 01:40 PM
You have to ask yourself where you are going with 3d

http://www.for3d.ru/ This is a Russian site they are light years ahead of vector .I dont know if its old world craftman ship inspired .Thy get it

The disadvantage of aspire compared to Artcam is Artcam you can do it in real time no different windows .I think artcam is addressing there high price and being compitive with price point thats affordforable to start off .Its good new as a user that they will both try to outdo each other.I don.t care who wins as long they can bring affordable 3d software to small shops.

Also both offer demos .I personaly didnt buy a cnc machine to do a sign "its 3 oclock its happy hour some where'

Also Gene as posted a lot of 3d panel from when he first started to noe there very good

garyb
08-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Also thats not talked about here is artcam express starting at 149.00 then you buy the modules that you need .I tried it it ended costing me 650.00.But there no libaryKevin, just as a minor correction all ArtCam versions including Express comes with a relief library with over 400 models included.
Gary

kevin
08-28-2011, 02:43 PM
wow thats an even better deal .I tried the demo and there was no libary I asumed at that price

tlempicke
08-30-2011, 07:49 PM
I went to the tutorial that Tim pointed out earlier (#19) I printed it out and tried to follow it step by step. When I get to the import function of Partworks there are only two drop downs. The "Import photo V Carve or cut 3D toolpaths" does not exist.

I paid the fee to have this program transferred to me by Shopbot and also paid for the upgrade to PW 3.0. What is happening? did I buy the wrong thing?

tmerrill
08-30-2011, 07:57 PM
If the command isn't under the file pull-down menu then you don't have the latest version of Partworks installed. Or, be sure you didn't open an older version by mistake.

It will still work for you - find the icon in the top row under File Operations that is labeled "Import Vectors from a File" and this should import a .v3d file.

Tim

adrianm
08-31-2011, 01:09 AM
When I bought my ShopBot it came with a CD entitled "Carving Quick Start" that had sample 3D files and tutorials for combining PartWorks and PartWorks 3D together.