PDA

View Full Version : 3D Probing Operation Failed

Hobodog2
09-01-2011, 09:29 AM
So, I tried to create a 3D model using the ShopBot Copy Machine and probe.

I selected the 3D modeling routine with the .dxf polyline option and that is what I got after 6+ hours of probing - a .dxf polyline - not a 3D model.

The other two options available were creating a .sbp (Shopbot cut file) or a .dxf point cloud. I don't think the .sbp option is what I need and I had tried the .dxf point cloud option on a smaller object earlier and did not get a
3D model either.

What am I doing wrong and does anyone have a method of creating a 3D model using the ShopBot probe please.

Thanks, Pete

Brady Watson
09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Choose the .SBP file option. Then when probing is done, run the Probe to Surface converter under Tools in SB3. Choose the 3D DXF option & you'll be good to go.

If you are not happy with the quality of the 3D model, contact me off list about laser scanning it for you.

-B

Hobodog2
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Brady

Thanks for the assistance. Actually, I did PM you with a request for quote, but I will try your tip now.

I presume that the .dxf polyline that I created with the 1st probing run, is useless and may be discarded.

Pete

Brady Watson
09-01-2011, 11:42 AM
It's useless for most people...The best path is to probe in SBP & convert. You can pull that 3D DXF right into Aspire, clean it up & machine.

-B

Hobodog2
09-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Brady

Unfortunately, a 3D DXF option is not one of the choices to convert the .sbp file into.

There are four choices and only one of them, the bitmap option, brings an image into Aspire. The other three options do not bring any image whatsoever into Aspire. And we cannot create a 3D file with a bitmap.

Any ideas pls.

thanks, Pete

Brady Watson
09-01-2011, 04:25 PM
In SB3, type in the TB command. A program that says GGI (Grant's Great Idea) will pop up. Open the .SBP file that was the result of you probing as an SBP. Then click on 'Save DXF Surface". Then import the 3D DXF using 'Import Component / 3D Model under the File menu in Aspire.

Are you doing something else?

-B

Hobodog2
09-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Brady

OK, thanks - that worked. I was doing everything you said up to using the File menu - I was using the import icons within Aspire and there were not as many choices as the File Menu.

Thanks again - I owe you big time.

Pete

Brady Watson
09-02-2011, 07:45 AM
No problem. I've done my fair share of probing. I probably have well over 50 million touches with my 1st Gen SB Probe (which I rebuilt a few times). So many of my customers required digitizing services, that it became a problem tying up the machine for (literally) days at a time. Plus, the amount of cleanup required on the probed file and lack of resolution, prompted me to find another method of scanning.

The SB probe is a really great accessory. Coupled with a Roland Picza, you'll be able to do almost any size part.

-B