PDA

View Full Version : Hull Pocket

BusyBeaver
09-04-2011, 12:44 PM
This is a plug I have made using the ShopBot. I am re-powering (actually a total rebuild) a 23' Single Screw Diesel here in Costa Rica. We are doubling the horsepower - in an effort to be able to get the best possible shaft angle and still increase the diameter of the propeller, I have decided to build a pocket... It will be laid up with fiberglass and Kevlar and once installed backed with Laurelle deadwood to solidify hull and keep similar sound resonation properties of a wooden boat.

Thanx to all who have assisted me with answers to my questions and all who have posted ideas and their work for me to see all the possibilities....

Your comments are welcome and appreciated -- it is always good to get other peoples perspective, especially ones with more experience and a sharper mind///

gc3
09-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Looks like a fun project!

Gary Campbell
09-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Parker...
Nice job. Brings back memories. I owned a Stike Yacht with twin tunnels. I really like that hull design that allows a great drive angle and yet shallow draft.

BusyBeaver
09-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Gene/// definitely a project/ sometimes itz hard to find the "fun" in it... Maybe if I get up your way this year for the Bisbee's Tournament I will have to look you up.... Do you still have the Marlin in the Bait ball piece... i am very fond of that....

BusyBeaver
09-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Gary,

was that a STRIKE Yacht??? If so they have a few of them at the Crocodile Bay Lodge down in Golfito, Costa Rica. Good boats and catch lotz of fish.... As draft is more of an issue in other areas, I am concerned with shaft angle the most-- driving fwd through waves and swell versus up n over.... We are increasing shaft size and wheel size also, so I went ahead an bit the bullet to add a pocket to her...

Hoping to utilize my bot more in this project for help setting up my stations when building my pod, engine box, and seating.... also the deadwood will be cut using the machine as well...

thanx for your interest,,, you and your son produce some very nice work

Parker

Gary Campbell
09-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Parker...
Thanks for the compliment. We were fortunate in many ways to have some very good clients. And not so fortunate in others.

sawkerf
09-04-2011, 11:33 PM
That's one hull of a project!

lex
09-09-2011, 01:46 PM
My step son is in the process of building a new mold for his boatshop. (A 27 ft offshore fisherman) I know that he is very very adamant that there are no areas in the hull that will disturb the water flow unless absolutely required. He would have a "hissy" with the square outcrop.
That is if it is what is in the water and not a liner of some type...