PDA

View Full Version : Be careful what you adjust on the Bot

MogulTx
10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
I have to tell a story on myself... a few weeks ago, I was readjusting my machine to get it to cut square. I had a problem in that I was out of square on diagonals that were about 60" long, where the part was .1" different. I was sure the problem was that the motors were slightly fighting one another on the long rails... so I loosened one motor and dropped it out of the teeth, and let it relax. I then raised it back up into the rack and SUPPOSEDLY tightened it in place. I have been running the machine for a few weeks. My jobs have been getting kind of sloppy and I didn't know why.... I was checking holes that i have been drilling. I noticed a flat spot in the hole! My holes also were of cruddy dimensions. In fact, i was having trouble with all my dimensions.

Then, last night, I noticed as the router came around a corner, that teh bit seemed to bobble as it changed direction and it put a SMALL divot into the side of the project. (Very small. But I noticed it).... and the action of the gantry seemed rather herky-jerky... As I stared at the machine as it ran, I noticed that there was a lot of slop in the left side of the gantry... and suddenly it hit me! I had fiddled with the attachment bolts on that side of the gantry!

When I checked, I expected to see them loose and the motor partially or fully disengaged from the rack. And that is basically what I saw. I had already stopped my job, so I just repositioned it and started it over.

When the Bot started up, it ran smoothly and without bumps and wiggles. Sooooo, Kiddies.... When you mess with your Bot, make sure you PROPERLY set her up again so that she can do a lovely job for you vs a cruddy job!

My dimensions were instantly improved. My surface finish was instantly improved. My agitation level was instantly improved.... it was a great end to a beautiful weekend.

(Now I just need to figure out that bugaboo with my software and life will be good!)

Monty

Gary Campbell
10-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Monty...
Every time you power down the control box the steppers relax. Here is a link to squaring the gantry. There are some differences between machine models, but you should get the basics here: http://www.shopbottools.com/files/SBG00321070418SquaringPRStools.pdf

Brady Watson
10-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Monty,
This is a PRS, right?

-B

MogulTx
10-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Yes. It is a PRS, so the motor was settling out of the rack- due to improper owner actions!

Monty

MogulTx
10-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks, Gary. I will go look at the link ASAP.

Monty