PDA

View Full Version : Transition from square to round on legs

Marion
10-04-2011, 02:48 AM
I have been using the wrapped gadget to make legs and posts but am looking at getting a little more creative. I am looking at how to transition between square to round and possibly back to square again. What is the best way to make these transitions? I could make multiple toolpaths between the square sections but this makes for a lot of moving the zero points and seems to also limit the creativity I can make in the transitions. It would be nice to be able for the preview to also show both the square and round portions to help people visualize the finished product. Am I asking too much?

Brady Watson
10-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Use a 2-rail sweep to transition from square to round and back again if you like...Play around and try it.

-B

Marion
10-04-2011, 12:40 PM
I use the 2-rail sweep to create the leg profile. How is it able to define which area of the profile is square versus round?

Brady Watson
10-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Break the rails up into sections, instead of one long pair. Then choose the starting & ending cross section profile for each. You may want a square section at the top for 4", and then a variable transition from square to round at the bottom. Create 2 rails 4" long, and 2 rails the length of the rest of the leg. Then rail sweep a single square profile in the 4" section. For the 2nd longer set, select the square profile to start & the round profile to end.

Make sense?

-B

Marion
10-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I am not picturing it. I think I am being hindered by my very visual learn style. Which is why I work with my hands and leave philosophy to others.

I do believe I have figured a way to do what I want. I size my blank to equal to the diagonal dimension of the stock. Then by braking down the profile into sections to be rounded and those left square, I can use a vector box to only select the round areas to be tooled leaving the square areas. The only goal this does not meet is to show a true preview which I was hoping for to show clients.