View Full Version : Chuck movement

Marion
10-04-2011, 03:09 AM
I am getting some rotational movement in the chuck itself. When the indexer is under power I can rotate the chuck back and forth. At the outer edge of the check it makes for about 1/16 inch of movement. I have noticed the wood shifting slightly when cutting as well. I checked with tech support and we verified that the shaft of the indexer motor is not moving. The set screws on the chuck when removed allow the chuck to slide on the shaft. But beyond that came up stumped. When tightened back up the chuck does not slide but continues to have the rotational play. I haven't had time to pull the chuck off, dismantle and reinstall it yet. I though I would check here first and see if anyone has noticed a similar issue or knows what I might look for when dismantling the chuck. The chuck came assembled on the indexer when I purchased it direct from shopbot a couple months ago.

Brady Watson
10-04-2011, 08:27 AM
There is an adapter that goes from the motor shaft to the chuck itself. Loosen the chuck set screws, verify that the clock position of the chuck and set screws line up with the flats on the motor, and the crank the heck out of those screws to lock it in.

Check the adapter to chuck mounting screws as well when you have it loosened to make sure they are tight.

Is this a Standard or Alpha powered motor?

-B

Marion
10-04-2011, 12:35 PM
When I pulled the set screws one was directly on the keyway, and the key is in place.
I will check the adapter when I pull it apart but it is moving with the chuck right now.
It is an Alpha.

Brady Watson
10-04-2011, 01:09 PM
You may not be able to eliminate the slop. The 10:1 straight gearheads used on these have a lot of backlash. It gets worse the larger the diameter gets. Mine had a lot of slop in it too.

-B

Marion
10-04-2011, 03:32 PM
You say "had" as in past tense. Did you find a solution to the slop or replace it?

I am not sure the issue I am having is slop in the gearhead. From my testing the shaft off the gearhead is remaining stationary, it is the chuck that moves. On a couple of occasions I have felt the gearhead move when tightening down the chuck. But that was do to the force of wrenching the chuck closed.

Guess I need to find time to pull the chuck off and so I am not speculating.

Brady Watson
10-04-2011, 03:53 PM
You say "had" as in past tense. Did you find a solution to the slop or replace it?

Yes. I have a different solution in the works...and several different solutions. I'm not set on any one of them.

But keep in mind...for woodworking, the straight gearhead 10:1 is fine. Hook it up & try it out. 90% or more of indexers ever sold are still sitting in the original shipping mini crate.

The area you want to look at is the motor shaft adapter to chuck itself. Make sure that they are secured well to each other.

-B

Marion
10-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the advise. I haven't noticed the slop being a problem when doing a round profile. The problem area is when doing a mortise into a piece. I figured since I had the leg already mounted into the indexer it would be simpler to make a regular toolpath, cut the mortise, rotate the leg 90 degrees and do another rather then to pull it off and set up a jig to make sure the leg is centered and positioned properly. The problem being the slop is making for an inaccurate mortise. I can visually see the piece move as the file runs. One solution is to block up the piece from below so it can't shift, but that is one more step to add in. Maybe I am asking too much from an indexer.
Perhaps I need to make a simple jig that could clamp to the piece with a worm screw that could cinch down to the table holding the piece in place.

Brady Watson
10-04-2011, 06:18 PM
I've got a better idea....Make yourself a 'brake' for the indexer that locks it's rotation in place. I'm sure you can think of something. Mine has a brake built into the motor.

-B

Marion
10-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Now there is a good idea. Again thank you for the advise.

plous
10-06-2011, 05:58 PM
had same problem this is my fix

myxpykalix
10-06-2011, 06:20 PM
i have no perceptable slop in mine and it is 5 yrs old. if yours is new send it back and tell shopbot to replace it. this stuff is too expensive to accept it if it isn't right. They will get you straight.