View Full Version : Indexer setup

kg4mon
04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
I will try to post a pic of the setup. I routed a 3/8 deep x 4 in wide groove in my table for the indexer mounting plates. I have been running my shopbot kinda on autopilot for the last 2 years, I've not been doing anything out of the oridinary just cabinet parts and signs nothing like this indexing stuff. So I guess I have forgot a few things. My indexer head will always been mounted in the same place, for that matter it will probably never come off the table. So how do I come up with a seperate homing program that won't mess with the one I have to find the corner of my table?

kg4mon
04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Well, I have run into a problem with the way I was going to mount this thing. I don't have enough travel, I will only be able to turn a 2.5 diameter. So back to the drawing board. I didn't want to mount it on the end of the table because I have plans on a dovetailing fixture and edge boring. Plus I didn't want to take it off and on to change the set up. I need some set up pics. I want to be able to turn at least a 8". Full capacity 9" would be better. Any ideas?

myxpykalix
04-16-2009, 07:21 PM
I have a prt alpha and i made a table with a gully built in so that i can turn up to a 12" column. I don't know what model you have and i don't think you can do this with a prs but here is one picture.

kg4mon
04-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah I seen that when searching for set up pic, that's awesome I would give anything if I had thought of that when I was putting mine together. I think mine is a prs alfa, I don't really know anymore. I have cut cabinets parts day after day and now things are a little slower and would love to do something more creative.

myxpykalix
04-17-2009, 06:24 PM
If you have a prs you may be stuck with no other option then to mount it in the Y axis. However if you want to make say a 8' long column you could design it in smaller sections and dowel it together. Frankly most things like balusters, table legs, lamp bases, and much more can be made by a indexer in the Y axis.

kg4mon
04-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Well, I'm up and running!!! I just decided to mount it in the x position but I mounted it right on the alum extrusion. It only gives me about a 8 round turning or a 5 1/2 sqaure blank turning capacity. But thats ok for now. Just wanted to get it up and running so I could play. So far all I've done is turn a blank round. Will post some pics later of my real first project if no one will laugh. Thanks for all the help. Rick

myxpykalix
04-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Try using the "turn a blank using a partwizard profile" option so you can turn something other than round. Also to give yourself a bit more diameter to turn take a compass and draw a circle on the end of your square and then go to ther tablesaw and cut your square edges off. That will give you a bit more diameter to work with.
If you want to experiment with some spiral toolpaths I can make a few for you to play with.

khaos
04-21-2009, 02:57 PM
... and then go to their tablesaw and cut your square edges off ... ooh thats good.

Almost certainly I would have come up with some elaborate idea requiring planetary alignment to work ... but no ... Jack comes out with some good old fashioned logic.

kg4mon
04-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Well, here it is. I didn't have a rope making bit, so I just used a 1/4 ballnose and done a raster toolpath. I used Artcam 2008. Jack, I would like to see some spiral toolpaths, if you wouldn't mind emailing them to me. I like to see how others do things. Thanks to everyone for the help. I'm off and running now. Uh.

myxpykalix
04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Rick, now that is cool! How long did that take to create? With a rope spiraling bit (www.magnate.net (http://www.magnate.net)) I can show you how to create that same design in about 2 minutes. Contact me via email and give me some deminsions of a rope design you would like (diameter and length of stock you want to make) and i'll send you a couple files to try. Do you have any regular roundover bits? What sizes?

kg4mon
04-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Well I used the shopbot indexer software to turn the blank round just to try it out then I use the same blank to try out the artcam software. It took a little over an hour to carve it. I have some 1/4 and 3/8 and maybe 1/2 inch pointed roundover but didn't want to get ahead of myself. I'm drawing up a fluted column post that we use alot and going to try that next. Out of some cheap mdf of course. No sense in ruining some nice oak or maple just yet. Will send email shortly. Thanks Rick

jdervin
04-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Rick--

Can you show us more detail on how you attached your indexer mounting plates to the aluminum extrusion? I was unable to get the pre-drilled holes in the plates to align in any sensible way on the extrusion.

kg4mon
04-24-2009, 08:25 AM
John, I just used the top mounting holes in the top groove of the extrusion. This was a temporary set up just to get going and try it out. So only the top three bolt holes are used. I just used some left over t-nuts and some 5/16 bolts. It is surprisely sturdy and strong no virbrations.

kg4mon
04-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Here is a post I did yesterday measures 4 x 4 x 36. had no problems.

myxpykalix
04-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Now that is VERY cool! How long did it take to do that? very nice....

kg4mon
04-24-2009, 02:54 PM
It was about 2 hours run time. But I have been running everything really slow so that I have more time to react if a programming mistake comes up. I guess I won't get to play for the few weeks, got to get back to doing customer jobs that pay the bills, you know the boring stuff. But hey, can't play if you don't pay the bills....