PDA

View Full Version : Taper and V Carve

kubotaman
10-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Does anyone have any ideas how I can make a taper on the indexer and then V-Carve some lettering? I realize you can taper on the ShopBot program but am confused as how one would V Carve on a taper. I run Aspire. The only way I can think I can do it is to raise or lower the tail stock which really is not a good alternative.

myxpykalix
10-11-2011, 11:08 PM
i don't know this pgm but doesn't it have the ability to make a taper with the spiraling gadget?

then isn't there a setting where you "project toolpath onto 3d model"?

i guess you would need to make sure you made the taper with that pgm so it knows you have a taper when projecting the toolpath?:eek:

kubotaman
10-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Jack, you don't have anything in Aspire to make a taper on the indexer as far as I know.

myxpykalix
10-12-2011, 05:20 AM
****! I SPENT 20 MIN TYPING A SOLUTION AND ASKING QUESTIONS...
lost it all when i hit a wrong key on keyboard due to 1 finger typing:mad:

if u want to talk pm me if u don't get answer.

short answer is rather then moving tailstock up, fashion yourself a jig using an additional dead center that attaches to the tailstock.

this would be a piece of wood that sits on the alum plate and has a hole where your tailstock center goes into.

then drill a hole in the opposite side of the wood to hold an additional dead center higher up on the wood equal to HALF the difference of the amount of taper you want (1.5"----1")=.5"...your added height would be .25"

you do all this after you use the tapering app that bill made years go. if you can't find it i can make you a sbp from a app i made.

questions:
is the vcarving going to be straight down the face of your taper or does the stock have to turn?
i will try to draw a picture of what i am describing.

the tools palette on my photo pgm won't work so i sketched this out r handed. i hope you get the basic idea here.

the process should be
use the tapering app first to get the shape u want
then adjust the height so that the length of the taper all stays 90 degrees to bit.

(my picture of the stock should have shown a taper not a straight piece)
additional questions:

length of stock?
length of taper you want?
diameter at beginning of taper?
diameter at end of taper?
where, on stock u want taper to start?
where on stock u want taper to end?
tell me what u are trying to make? might help with overall advice

garyb
10-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Text onto a quick taper
Edited: Left my text out......
quickest way for a block taper, create a taper model of one face & cut then rotate 90° continuing to cut remaining 3 sides, create text toolpath and project on model

srwtlc
10-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Daryl,

Take a look at the "C24b-rotary-3d-machining" video tutorial for Aspire and you should get the idea of how to make a taper and then when generating the v-carve toolpath, check to "Project toolpath onto 3d model".

Granted, the v-carve would look a bit skewed when cut (thus the thought that you would have to raise the tail stock). You could also model the text by creating a shape and using the angular shape with subtract, then cut with a ballnose.

garyb
10-12-2011, 10:38 AM
There you go Scott got the round taper before I completed it
Amount of distortion will depend on the angle of the taper
Gary

kubotaman
10-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks guy's. I will certainly look at the video. I knew that the text would be a little off but sometimes I wonder how to "Do" something. This was one of those moments. I certainly will look at the video. I will let you know if that answers my questions. Too bad someone hasn't come up with a way to raise or lower the tailstock. It wouldn't take too much machining but I really don't have the time. Thanks again!

kubotaman
10-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Okay I have looked at the videos mentioned by Scott and have to admit I may have had a senior moment forgetting how to do what I wanted. I do have to admit I am confused as how you, Gary, made the square tapered block. That is really what I wanted to accomplish. Gary did you do it in Aspire?? Thanks!

garyb
10-15-2011, 06:36 AM
No Daryl I created an angle plane in ArtCam, to create a similar taper in Aspire you will most likely need to do a 2 rail sweep using a profile
Gary