View Full Version : 3D Wrapping

ron_varela
01-17-2009, 05:01 AM
What is 3d wrapping and unwrapping, it is a stl file or a 3ds file or a 3d dxf file you can find anywhere on the internet or make yourself, if you have the programs you can make table legs and columns like this

Made and cut by Gene Marshall

Made and cut Khalid

The method is this, find something you want to cut as a leg for a table or chair.

You will need to bring it into Artcam for unwrapping

You will need to set the file below the 0 plane to get the results you want, most of the time it is just half the model or less

This is what it looks like unwrapped

And this is the results you get when it is wrapped.

As you see this is a complex part and the results came out great.

Simple ways of doing legs is just using a profile to be able to make this

Files can be made fast and simple but you will need the right programs for the job, without the programs there is no need to go any farther and try to figure out another ways, the only other way I know of is buy the programs needed or buy pre made files or have some one make them for you.

I can make 100s of files like this but will be in sizes not for your needs, I have thought about making 3 different sizes so it can be cut on the end of the stock to fit just about any table or desk or chair, it is only a thought.

jseiler
01-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Besiddes arecam, is there anything else that will cynidrcally unwrap that's not thousands of dollars?

John

donclifton
01-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Deskproto or rams gold both out perform artcam when it comes to indexing a 3d model. Deskproto is around 1300 and rams gold is around 1000.

donclifton
01-17-2009, 11:14 AM
You can download a full working copy of deskproto 5 on their website. will work for 30 days.

Brady Watson
01-17-2009, 12:24 PM
DeskProto is very good for indexing...I'll be trying it in the near future & comparing it to other strategies. Bear in mind that it is machining a full 3D model in the round. It is not actually unwrapping it & will not allow you to alter the shape of the part - which I think is what John wants to be able to do.

-B

khalid
01-17-2009, 02:18 PM
RON..The Eagle on the indexer is not made or cut by me..I think it was done by VELLECA5555 on Artcam Forum..

Thanks for sharing the pictures and informations.
Regards

jseiler
01-17-2009, 03:10 PM
It ewould be nice to be able to unwrap and edit (simple edits like domed text), but I can always work directlty with the 3d model too, if I can get the result machined nicely. I was thinking unwrap software would have to be cheaper than full rotary toolpathing software.

jseiler
01-20-2009, 09:01 AM

Here's something I did with my little indexer. Its the dragon from the aspire disk wrapped around a cylinder.

John S.

khalid
01-20-2009, 09:14 AM
John..very nice picture.. .Keep up sharing pictures it motivate us.. Can you please tell us the dimensions of the part, the tools used and the time took to complete machining

jseiler
01-20-2009, 09:41 AM
6" long, 7.5" circumferance. I roughed with an endmill (2 passes) = 1 hour. I finished with an 1/8" roundnose = 3 hours. I know the next one will be significantly faster as I know I can ramp up the z and x speed and the indexer stepover a lot.

khalid
01-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the information John

jseiler
01-20-2009, 11:31 AM
I forgot the speeds. I had the x axis set at .6ips, z at .2ips, indexer set to 960 steps per linear inch (prt control box, half stepping, 400 steps per rev, 18:1 gearbox, 7.5In in circumferance.) I have a very old pr32 (32x32x7 with ballscrew axes) and prt control with the older control cards.

myxpykalix
01-20-2009, 02:42 PM
My results on wrapping were disappointing so I want to go over them and see if you can tell me what went wrong.

I used Millwizard and took a stl in and it was 12" in X and 4" in Y.

and created a roughing toolpath and finishing toolpath.
Then i took the converter Jim Anders posted link:
http://www.spauldingbryant.com/sbconvert/
and ran both toolpaths thru it.

I then turned down a square to give it a 4" CIRCUMFERENCE (equal to the Y measurement of 4" of the stl).

Then i Zzero'ed the .25 endmill for the roughing pass to the center of the stock and this is the result:

I would gladly send all toolpaths to anyone who could read them and maybe figure out what went wrong?

jseiler
01-20-2009, 03:30 PM
I would have set up the model so that the xy zero was at the bottom left of the flat model and the z zero was the "table" or bottom of the model. Then I would have imported the stl into aspire. I would have added planar shape underneath it to lift the whole thing up so that the model was only a little bit under the top of the model thickness. In my case, I used .05in. I then figured out how to set the unit values so that one rotation of the indexer worked out to be one circumferance. I then told aspire to machine a toolpath along the x axis (y was the indexer motor). Worked like a charm and no converter as I disconnected the y motor and replaced it with the indexer.

jseiler
01-28-2009, 10:12 AM
I think that software is set up such that you provide a "flat" relief and it converts to either xzA or yzA format depending on how your
indexer rolls. I swapped my y axis driver to the stepper driver for mine, so as long as I lay out my files with circumerance in mind, I don't
need to convert. This is bad because deskproto trial wants to talk in xza format and I'm not sure how to configure my old prt box to do that.
I do have a spare driver channel.

velleca55
05-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Kalid say ... "RON..The Eagle on the indexer is not made or cut by me..I think it was done by VELLECA5555 on Artcam Forum.. "

Thanks Kalid ...

That photo is of my work ... is a VELLECA work ...
The photo was in ArtCAM forum in to a topic of Kalid, but isn't a Kalid work is my, Velleca ...

Made with the unwrapping function of the ArtCAM Pro "8" ...

MADE AND CUT BY VELLECA not Kalid ...

Is a simple unwrap of a planar figure I did made with a photo only and Shape editor ... and first that I did saw the GIGGALO's video on that topic ...

The topic is that one ... http://forum.artcam.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5755&start=0

And here on the old and new version after a accidental cut ...
http://www.velleca.it/manualiforum/Thread_cancelated.rar

And in it you can find two videos made by GIGGALO ... Thanks Giggalo ...

The link to the Giggalo's videos on the forum ...
http://forum.artcam.com/download/file.php?id=7546
http://forum.artcam.com/download/file.php?id=7558

I did made other tests with that function ...