PDA

View Full Version : Hand/CNC Carved Sign (in progress)

mjindustry
11-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi all, I wanted to share a sign that is in progress.

It's a sign for a greenhouse & nursery and I decided to hand carve the rose after seeing my husband struggle a bit trying to model this in aspire. Plus I had a new Milwaukee rotary tool to try and a dust mask!

So the rose is by hand and the rest is created with Aspire 3 and cut on our Shopbot.

mjindustry
11-07-2011, 05:21 PM
more progress pictures here... :)

CNYDWW
11-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Outstanding work!

RickWyatt
11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Thats AWESOME! Great work!

myxpykalix
11-07-2011, 08:38 PM
was it just the rose/petals? was the stems and leaves carved on the bot? It looks seamless between them like they are all one piece.

how much hand sanding went into the rose? You would think their might be a difference in textures but it looks seamless.

good job!;)

englert
11-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Great job!

You've employed a concept that I've always thought was practical. It could be said you used the best tools available for the job. Everyone seems to think that since they have a computer, some software and a cnc that they have to use the cnc. For carvings, I've always thought that a carver should still rely on his or in this case, her, carving skills to embellish and improve the project. With the right tools and skills, it greatly enhances the project, i.e, crisper details, undercuts and more. After all, most will attack the project with a piece of sand paper, why not a chisel or die grinder or whatever!

Again, great job and insight.

Dennis

mjindustry
12-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Here are the finished pictures...Thanks for all the kind words Dennis, Rick, CNYDWW, myxpykalix and everyone else!

myxpykalix
12-05-2011, 12:34 AM
You know Melissa, you make the rest of us look at amateurs:rolleyes:
great job:D

Rick W
12-05-2011, 10:39 AM
OK, I'm impressed!! Just wondering Melissa, how long would it take to carve
a rose to that kind of perfection? Looks to me like the flower (the part you hand carved) is about 18" tall and made of sign foam?? How big is the whole sign?
Hats off to you for an awesome job!!!!!

Rik

srwtlc
12-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I too was wondering what the material was as I couldn't see any grain if it was some kind of wood (basswood maybe), but it looked like there were chips flying.

Great work as always!

sailfl
12-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Melissa,

Thank you for sharing your excellent work.

NeathawkSigns
12-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Melissa this is awesome! How and what do you use for paint to get that kind of finish? Also, did you start the rose from 3" sign foam? So awesome! Your my idol!

Lindsay

mjindustry
01-21-2012, 11:44 PM
OK, I'm impressed!! Just wondering Melissa, how long would it take to carve
a rose to that kind of perfection? Looks to me like the flower (the part you hand carved) is about 18" tall and made of sign foam?? How big is the whole sign?
Hats off to you for an awesome job!!!!!

Rik

Thank you Rik! You have the size of the flower about right on. It took me about 3-4 hours with some hand sanding for that project. The sign was 5ft by 3ft overall. :)

You know Melissa, you make the rest of us look at amateurs
great job

I don't think so really! I learn so much here that it's not even funny. :)

I too was wondering what the material was as I couldn't see any grain if it was some kind of wood (basswood maybe), but it looked like there were chips flying.

Great work as always!

That is 15lbs Design Board HDU

Melissa,

Thank you for sharing your excellent work.

Thank you!

Melissa this is awesome! How and what do you use for paint to get that kind of finish? Also, did you start the rose from 3" sign foam? So awesome! Your my idol!

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay! I've seen your work and it is looking pretty awesome I must say. The
Dentist job? That was really nice all around.

The rose here was just 1.5" thick foam. Seems a little too thick in hind sight. For paint it is usually all Sherwin Williams latex. :) Thanks again and see you around. I'm happy to see you here and that you are making awesome signs already. :)

Melissa