PDA

View Full Version : caster kit

mitch_prest
11-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Can anyone tell me what is included with the caster kit.. I saw mention in another post that someone that got the kit wished they has just made their own.. is it just a set of wheels??

thanks

mitch

penman
11-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Hi Mitch,

When I bought my Buddy I ordered it with a caster kit, so that when it arrived the wheels were already fitted and there was no trouble shifting it around and into place. I believe you only get a set of wheels. If you already have a Buddy and have to fit the wheels you could probally get them cheaper elsewhere. Ifyou are ordering one it is convenient to have the wheels already fitted.

Regards,

Roger.

Acmeaviator
11-16-2011, 12:22 AM
I also ordered my buddy with the caster kit pre-installed - good thing! Just getting it home was worth the cost. I don't have to move my buddy much, but when I do it's great having the ease of raising the feet and moving it where I need.

tlempicke
11-16-2011, 07:41 AM
I don't know what the buddy kit costs but I can tell you that casters tend to be pretty expensive. Getting it right the first time would make my choice the Shopbot kit.

mitch_prest
11-16-2011, 08:27 AM
the casters are about $300.. so I appreciate hearing from you guys...

dana_swift
11-16-2011, 09:16 AM
I did not buy the casters with mine, instead I bought some heavy duty casters myself, and a pair of 5 ton bottle jacks from a local auto parts store. Then using scrap wood I built a retract system with the jacks that pushes the castors down into position whenever I want to wheel around the buddy. Otherwise it sits solidly on the floor on its pads. Jacking it up onto the casters is easy too.

I am quite certain that my system did not cost $200 total at the time. And in my opinion its a much better option. I suspect it would not cost $300 today.

Now Gary Campbell is a company man, maybe we can get some improvements like that all over the place. Go Gary.. Go SB..

D

mitch_prest
11-16-2011, 11:34 AM
G'day Dana

any chance of a picture of what you did..

thanks

cowboy1296
11-16-2011, 12:01 PM
not sure about this but i had the same questions when i bought my buddy. i seem to remember that there is a steel cross bar that comes with the castors. now that i am not sure of and i just bet that shopbot can enlighten you.