PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy

tlempicke
11-16-2011, 07:54 AM
I am using partworks and really like it. Many of the 3D drawing programs are great for the guy who sits in front of a screen all day, this one is easy enough that I can remember what to do from session to session.

I understand that I can upgrade to Aspire through Shopbot for about $1500.

What more do I get for that much money?

cowboy1296
11-16-2011, 09:07 AM
I fought with my credit card over the upgrade, but finally bought the bullet and did. So far no regrets. What i like the most about it is the ability to blend 3d files into one. i recently finished one that had 5 or 6 files blended together.

these are minor: a recent update allows you to see a picture of your 3d file that you have stored on your computer for easy recognition; on profile cuts you can set the final cut to be minimum and use it for a clean up cut instead of creating a second tool path.

still working on learning this one but you can build 3d components out of 2d vectors.

there is more but my favorite is already listed in the first paragraph

jerry_stanek
11-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I have Aspire that I bought from Vectric and it came with a bunch of models. I don't know if when you upgrade from Part works if you get them.

cowboy1296
11-16-2011, 10:45 AM
i upgraded through shopbot at the tune of nearly 1500 about two months ago. the models DID come with the upgrade. i too thought that they would not but did

penman
11-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi Tom,

I have a Buddy which I do not use to make a living, just a little extra. When I bought it Partworks and PW3D were included. I attended a Shopbot Camp where Aspire was demonstrated. I could not really afford it but had to have it, so I did. Since then I have always kept it up to date with new release's and updates. The program can do that much I don't think I have learned half of it, but love it and certainly do not regret buying it.

Download the free trial version and you will get an idea of what you can do with it.

Regards and cheers,

Roger.

michael_schwartz
11-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Aspire is definitely worth it. You can make back that $1500.00 in a couple of jobs.

When you think of 3D think in terms of modeling, and machining many different things, not just decorative carvings.

t_vandemark
11-17-2011, 05:36 PM
I downloaded the trial version of Aspire and every toolpath i create has an unusually long carve time. Is this just a trial version thing or is this a regular occurance when working with Aspire? I just can't see myself making use of this software with carve times for a 20"x20" sign well over 30hrs. I have tried changing tools and modeling depths and nothing makes a difference. I have also tried a wildlife scene in partworks 3D with a carve time of 5hrs 30min and a 30plus hr carve time in Aspire Trial Version both with identical peramiters. Any help and advise is appreciated.

ssflyer
11-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Tyler,

The estimated time is just that - estimated. If you click on the "Estimated Machining Time" icon in the toolpath window, you''l find settings which can be adjusted to more closely match your machine. It is based on the machine's rapid move rate, and has a scale factor you can change. If you save a toolpath and preview it in the SB3 software, it may give you a more accurate time. The best way is to cut (or aircut) a toolpath and time it. Then you can adjust the Aspire estimated time to closely match the actual cut time.

Hope this helps...

cowboy1296
11-17-2011, 07:25 PM
under the modeling tab did you, highlight your model and then click on create vector boundary. i know that was different then partworks 3.0 or partworks 3d. if not it will add a lot of time. on my machine i set rapid at 3 inches per second and scale 2.7 which is reasonablly close to my actual time.