PDA

View Full Version : Jig Positioning

richdav8500
11-30-2011, 10:49 PM
I need to make several 3D vacuum jigs that I need to remove and than reposition back on the table. Can people share there techniques for doing this repositioning?

Thanks,
Richard

knight_toolworks
12-01-2011, 12:34 AM
if you do it a lot I drill the jigs and the table for dowels. or you can drill holes in your jig and have the machine Drill them with a ball nose bit to locate the jig with the machine.(spindle not on) you only need two holes for this.

waterwheelman
12-01-2011, 12:44 AM
I use several jigs for the cribbage boards I make. They are made of 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch plywood or MDF. On two edges they have wood strips hanging below the table edge so I can position them on the left bottom edges of the ShopBot table. They have the shape of the part or parts that I am routering while holding them down with the vacumm. The jig is also held in place with the vacumm.

knight_toolworks
12-01-2011, 12:54 AM
most of my jigs anymore are disposable ones I make them as needed it makes life easier.

srwtlc
12-01-2011, 09:35 AM
If you set up your jigs with locating pins/dowels and matching holes in the table, you can set up an offset system where once your machine is homed, you can call up that offset position or jig # and go there. I have a file set up where I can assign or goto up to four different saved locations or back to table base with a click of a button. This is all done with the VA command and some simple programming in a custom cut file.

richdav8500
12-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks for sharing ideas. We are going to use pin for locating and bolts to hold the jig to the table. Again thanks for the ideas.

Richard