PDA

View Full Version : Inclined Table

mr_jeff
12-05-2011, 11:18 PM
We have an older PR96 unit (yes, it still running!) that we are considering making a few simple and one major structural upgrades to. It spent years working hard full time before we acquired it several years ago. We mainly use it to introduce high school kids to basic CNC (they just eat it up after they get over dealing with a DOS based system!) and for occasionally making parts for other personal projects .

The most significant change we are interested in is tilting the entire frame along the X axis. Basically, tilting the unit so it resembles a wall mounted panel saw. We would add counterbalance to the Y axis, and change the roller configuration on each axis for the new load. This configuration would significantly reduce the required floor space and ease loading since most of our material is stored on edge. Any drawbacks? Thanks!

myxpykalix
12-06-2011, 12:14 AM
The most significant one i can think of is....GRAVITY!!!:eek:

Without sounding impolite, this is just not a practical idea at all. If you look at the rollers on the carriage they are grooved and that minor groove is all that holds the rollers to the rails (alignment wise_).

I don't see any practical way you could keep the carriage on the rails in such a way to be able to keep from slpping off much less keeping the carriage aligned so as not to mess up your designs.

Then you have the inherent design of the motors which i don't believe are strong enough to push and pull the added weight of the carriage and router in a sideways fashion.

Then the weight and awkward way you would have to load/unload material and how would you hold it vertically in order to attach it to your table?
I applaud your "thinking outside the box" but this too far outside!:eek:

Brady Watson
12-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Jeff,
Modifying a PR is like opening a can of worms. Once you start, you have to keep going until you spent enough to wind up with a PRT. It is a great little tool when it is used as it was designed. The bearings and guides were not designed to take the kind of load that you would put on it if it were on an incline/angle etc. It's a neat idea...but don't plan it it working out so well unless you design the chassis from the ground up for this kind of use.

-B

twelchPTM
12-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Sounds to me like you'd have less work fitting a panel saw with a router mount, steppers and a control box then trying to tip the whole 'bot

gene
12-03-2012, 09:01 PM
what will hold the material to the table

Brady Watson
12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
http://axyz.com/sys/router/panelrouter/

-B