PDA

View Full Version : removing layer

brian
12-29-2011, 06:48 PM
I've gotten another one of those files from a customer that has a second layer of vectors.This files has too many lines to individually delete each one.
Is there a simple way of doing this.

Brian

ssflyer
12-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Depending on the version, you can simply select the layer and delete it by hitting the Garbage Can icon, or right clicking and selecting Delete.

garyb
12-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Depends on which version your running, but the simple answer is just turn the layer off
If you wish to delete the vectors & layer select the layer, right click and delete, answer no to moving the vectors to the default layer
Gary

garyb
12-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Sorry Ron, had the reply sitting open and didn't know you had already posted the answer.
Gary

jerry_stanek
12-30-2011, 08:37 AM
I always like to save a copy of the original file so if I screw something up I can retry.

ssflyer
12-30-2011, 11:41 AM
No problem Gary! :D
I prefer your method of simply turning off the layer, anyway. You don't inadvertently lose wanted vectors that way!

brian
12-30-2011, 02:14 PM
I guess I wasn't specific enough.
This file was created by adobe illistrator and when imported to artcam has an overlapping set of vectors.
I have artcam pro 2009
No extra layer shows up to be deleted in the layers section
If I click on each individual vector and move it there is another behind it.
I could remove them individually but it's labour intensive and I was hoping for an easier way

Thanks Brian

billp
12-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Brian,
If you draw a bounding box around all of the objects and just hit ' delete' do you lose everything OR just the " top layer" ?
Can you " group" the top layer and dump it that way?

ssflyer
12-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Brian,

One thing you might try, if they are all exactly overlapping duplicates and are closed vectors. Select All (ctrl+a) and hit "Weld Vectors." This will weld them into a single vector.

Of course, if you have non-duplicate intersecting vectors, it will weld them, too, so they would need de-selected, first.

Hope this helps.

bleeth
12-31-2011, 07:36 AM
Brian:
The bad news is that I haven't found an easy way to deal with this in ACPro 2009. The only way to not select every vector is to click on them individually. A bounding box selects the underlying vectors as well. I'll admit I have not tried Ron's Weld trick but I can see where that could create other issues if it worked depending on the actual design.
You can deal with this in other programs though. I know if you can bring them into Autocad you can then flatten the entire drawing and that eliminates line-on-line issues. You might check if your clients version of AI can do this.

steve_g
12-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Brian:
Since you posted in the ArtCam section, I assume that you don't have PartWorks. If you know someone that does... have them try the "SELECT ALL DUPLICATE VECTORS" function. If they are truly duplicate, one on top the other, this works well.

Steve

KPAK
12-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Brian,
send me the file I have illustrator CS4, will take a minute
Kamal
kamal@kpak.com

brian
01-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Sorry for not replying sooner
I finally bit the bullet and purchase Adobe illistrator.
I found the problem that occurs when I'm sent a file from this program.
When saving a traced file in PDF format you have to uncheck the boxes that ask to save the overlying layers.
I will try some of the suggested techniques as it might be simpler

Thanks Brian

jdervin
01-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Sounds like I'm too late for this suggestion, but for any future readers, I noticed that there is a "find duplicate vectors" button in the vector doctor dialogue box. After clicking that and then hitting the delete key, I was left with only one layer of vectors. Of course, this only works with exact duplicates, but it won't do any damage to the rest of the file.