View Full Version : Spiraling on a taper?

myxpykalix
01-02-2009, 02:06 AM
I know I can make a taper using the indexer wizard. I know i can spiral a straight plane on the indexer. But I haven't been able to figure out how to write code to have it spiral along that taper.

Has anyone been able to do that? My first thought is that it would be easier to write code to make a wizard to do that but that isn't as easy as I thought it might be.
Then i thought I could use the virtual tools to make my taper on the piece then fashion some type of adjustable manual riser that i could mount the tailstock to, so i could raise it up so that taper is now in a straight plane relative to the bit and can then spiral it as normal. Any thoughts on wheter it can be done easier via software or manually?

cip
01-02-2009, 05:54 AM
Jack:
This is why I was looking for a formula to calculate the revolutions/degrees for a custom profile on the indexer.

What I do is create the profile and tool path with Artcam or whatever, import it into Excel and convert the file from M3 moves to M5 moves.

The real and only problem is the degrees of rotation to get the desired spiral.
With a little trial and error this also can be accomplished.

BTW I have been working on an Excel function that produces the degrees of rotation based on the desired distance of travel. So far it seems to be working but I am still testing.

Mike

myxpykalix
01-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Mike,
I can write you toolpaths for any length, diamter, pitch(rotations), starts(number of ropes)in combination for any size bit for anything you want EXCEPT tapers. Let me know and i'll send you anything you need to experiment with.
I don't use/know excel so don't start talking formulas using that or it might as well be Greek (or is it GEEK) to me LOL.

cmagro
01-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Jack,

We talked about this step by step on a previous post..gotta run to the site otherwise I'd hunt it down for you. This might help you remember

The ONLY difference between a straight and tapered spiral is the height is different at each end.

When I get back I'll see if you still need help.

myxpykalix
01-02-2009, 08:54 AM
If I remember correctly the profile including the taper was created by you using some application that think you wrote? Or something like that. But the spirals were created seperately.
My vague recollection was that it was done with a program I didn't have so I couldn't replicate it but i'm sure my memory isn't great so if you have the link to your original post you can refresh me. Or if you have some updated info. Thanks

bill.young
01-02-2009, 09:10 AM
John,

You should be able to do a tapered spiral using the Indexer Virtual Tool...just set a different start and end radius in the "traditional turnings" section.

I must admit I've never tried a tapered spiral before, though...is that not working?

Bill

cmagro
01-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Jack,

You do remember correctly about using my own program. But here is a simple block of code you can use. I've over-commented it so you can see what each item is. You can just make a shp file out of this and when you need spirals (straight or tapered) you can bring the file up...manually change variables and run it.

Info shown here, for example would be for a 4" diameter piece. Length of spiral is 36". would have a spiral distance of 36". The bit digs in 1/4" along the length. If the piece was tapered the value for PT_ENDZ would be a lower number. The rotation along the piece is how much you want the piece to spin while the bit moves along the path..in this case one full turn.

Look down more and you will see the number 90. once the spiral is done the piece will rotate...re-zero and do it again. Using 90 means you will have 4 spirals (i.e. 360 / 90).

SA,
&ZUP=2.5000

cmagro
01-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Jack,

The info I just posted could of course be put in some sort of Excel format and such. I myself choose to bring up the file...saveas to the clients folder and manually change the variables. It is literally just a couple minutes to set myself up for spirals.

Christian

bill_l
01-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Christian,

In your example you define a variable "DEG_ROTATION" yet this does not show up anywhere in the rest of the file. There is however, a variable "ROT_UP". Did you actually mean these to be the same?

Bill

cmagro
01-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Sure did Bill....thanks for catching that.

Did not want to confuse Jack with extra stuff. In case you are wondering about the ROT_UP variable...

I usually use "rotation up" and "rotation back" variables because I do not like to dig into the piece and cause any flex. If I want to dig into the material 1/2" for example, I just dig in 1/4" on the way up and 1/4" on the way back instead of digging in the full depth and raising the bit just to jog back to the start. Makes for a smoother finish too by the way.

The up and back variable are the same value except one is positive and one is negative.