View Full Version : 3D Object slicing in aspire question?

ColdBlooded
01-18-2012, 12:06 PM
I am about to cut my first 3D project and have a question about how to slice a 3D file. If I wanted to cut a 8" tall half circle out of 4" foam. I have imported a .obj file of a ball. In the import process I can cut the circle in the middle and bring a 8" tall half circle into aspire. How can I now cut that circle in half again so I will have 2 - 4" tall parts to complete my 8" half circle?

Thanks,

Brendan

tmerrill
01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Brendan

Set up your Aspire project for 4" thick material and import your half circle (or just create it in Aspire).

In the Modeling Tools section of icons there is one to Slice Model. Click on that and the window you see in the first picture will open. In this case you can either pick the option to create 4" thick slices or the option to create 2 slices.

After you slice the model you will have two new components as shown in the second picture. Remove the check in the original component to make it invisible. Move the slices around on your material and calculate toolpaths.

There is a very good tutorial about slicing on your Aspire DVD. It would be worth watching again and it also provides a method of only toolpathing the sides which would help you with the bottom slice.

Tim

ColdBlooded
01-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Tim,

Thanks that was a huge help. I was sure it was as easy as a button but i just could not find it. Is the slice button in all versions? I dont see it in my version. Maybe its time to upgrade!! I currently have Version 1.029.

Thanks again for helping out a newbie,

Brendan

ColdBlooded
01-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Looks like I am 1 version to old for the slice tool. Anyone out there with the slice tool that would do a slice for me? Email me at Sales@coldbloodedsupply.com. I will email a .obj with the model I am working with.

Thanks,

Brendan

backyard_cnc
02-24-2012, 01:01 AM
http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php

here is a free download that (with a little practise) will slice a 3D model into Z slices ( or X or Y) so you can create toolpaths for each of the pieces. I have tested it with slicing a basic model in half and importing the pieces into ARTCAM and it looks good, but I haven't actually machined a model so further testing is required. The basic software is free however so it might just do what you want. Otherwise you could buy the VECTRIC CUT3D which will do what you need as well.

gerald

mtylerfl
02-24-2012, 05:37 PM
http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php

here is a free download that (with a little practise) will slice a 3D model into Z slices ( or X or Y) so you can create toolpaths for each of the pieces. I have tested it with slicing a basic model in half and importing the pieces into ARTCAM and it looks good, but I haven't actually machined a model so further testing is required. The basic software is free however so it might just do what you want. Otherwise you could buy the VECTRIC CUT3D which will do what you need as well.

gerald

Hi Gerald,

What file type does netfabb save/export the 3D slices as? I briefly visited the netfabb website and from what I can tell from a quick glance at the features, it appears that only the Pro version can export as STL. So I am wondering what the basic version does as an alternative - - I couldn't find that info on their website.

mark_m
02-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi Brendan,

Although you are using V1 of Aspire, you would have been entitled to upgrade free of charge to both V2.0 and V2.5.
You would have been sent upgrade emails at the time of release of those versions.
If you would like to send an email to info at vectric using the email account that you registered the software with, we will be able to sort you out with the upgrade.

I hope that this helps,

Cheers,

Mark.

chiloquinruss
02-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Now you all know why we love Vectric! Russ