PDA

View Full Version : New Bi-fold door for under 20 bucks!!

Rick W
01-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Old bi-fold door, 1/4" mdf, drywall mud, high impact styreen (for stencil), white
glue and a bit of paint. 60 degree v bit for stencil. Tried my first little bit of stenciling, was very pleased.

myxpykalix
01-24-2012, 04:06 AM
OK Rick..you can't tease us with these pictures and such little detail!:eek:

It looks like you vcarved the details into the mdf then filled the cavity withthe drywall mud? I could not tell looking as the pic if the features in the leaves were carved or if they were just flat? More details man!:D Maybe some closer pics too

went back and took a closer look. Looks like you just used the stencils on the surface. How did you get the drywall mud to stick to the surface? Doesn't look like this was made on the bot? A neat idea and well done!

steve_g
01-24-2012, 11:57 AM
OK... I'm guessing, squeegeied on silkscreen style T&B mud? Did you have trouble with the mud wanting to crack?

I'm intrigued

Steve

Rick W
01-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Jack, you are correct. All I did was made a stencil on the bot out of .030 styreen. Placed it on the mdf, filled it (the stencil) with mud, let it dry a bit, textured it with a brush, and then painted it. I dampened the mdf a bit to help the mud to stick to it, tried scraping it off, it's pretty solid. Have attached another picture, but don't know how to give you a closer view?

Rik

Rick W
01-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Steve, didn't crack at all. Used a bit of spray silicone (not much) as a mold release as well.

Rik

khaos
01-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Great Job! Got my grey cell :eek: workin. You could get an even more understated look using some hi-build primer rather than the mud. It would appear nearly invisible.

Rick W
01-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Hey Joe,

What is hi-build primer??

Rik