PDA

View Full Version : Spindles

kubotaman
01-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Just asking for your opinion in regards to a project I may have. Do you think it is possible to cut a small dowel( .5) made from oak to the size of .375 on one end to .25 on the other? I would do it on the indexer but have a strong feeling it is just too small. The length would be 16 inches long. I can't afford to give this project a lot of time since it is basically free.

ironsides
01-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Just asking for your oipnion in regards to a project I may have. Do you think it is possible to cut a small dowel( .5) made from oak to the size of .375 on one end to .25 on the other? I would do it on the indexer but have a strong feeling it is just too small. The length would be 16 inches long. I can't afford to give this project a lot of time since it is basically free.

I don't have an indexer, but many years experience as a machinist.
You could possibly do it if you placed supports under the rod, similar to a steadyrest.

George

kubotaman
01-28-2012, 05:29 PM
George I had thought of that. I was just hoping to not make it too complicated. Thank you!

Brady Watson
01-28-2012, 05:57 PM
I would do it like this: Dowel Making Jig (http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=977)

-B

gene
01-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Thats a good site. Thanks for posting it

knight_toolworks
01-28-2012, 11:20 PM
I would start with a 3/8" if possible and chuck it in a drill wrap sandpaper around it and turn it on. it will take a bit but you can sand it to shape.
If you have a tablesaw or router table you make two blocks with loose 1/2" holes you then set the block on one end to cut enough to make 3/8" and cut the other end short enough to get .25 and just rotate it over the blade and it will skim off the extra into a taper as you move it back and forth.

kubotaman
01-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Well later today just for fun I tried a small piece, 5 inches, on a taper. I made the file for my indexer in the Shopbot indexer tool file. The file was made to be .375 at the beginning and .25 at the other end. It absolutely came out perfect!. Now remember it is only 5 inces long but it does give me hope. I may try it tomorrow for the whole 16 inches. I set the Y axis off center .125 so the bit would not push the dowel down but would give it a small push to the rear. Hope my theory works.

myxpykalix
01-29-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm pretty sure you are going to need some type of "thin stock support". Here are a couple pics of mine. As you can see this was something that took me days to engineer and perfect the design and after hours of research and development with trial and error here is what i came up with.:rolleyes:

It is simply a kids roller skate. If you have kids or grandkids you have at least one of these laying around. The nice thing about this one is the wheels adjust forward and back to adjust for thicker material.

I don't have pictures of version 2.0 which had some springs in a well underneath pushing it up to compensate for when material is cut it pushes up.

you can see it is simple, it took all of 5 minutes to rig something like this up, clamp it down and go.:D

gene
01-29-2012, 01:37 AM
what if you cut a v into a scrap piece of wood length wise to support the full length once you have it turned to a round shape. that would support it from one end to another while making the taper

kubotaman
01-29-2012, 01:47 AM
Gene I realize I may have to design and use a center support. I was thinking of what you suggest. I can cut a V groove and mount it under the dowel but also have it spring loaded to slightly put pressure upwards when being cut. I just don't want to put too much time in this project since it really isn't a money maker. I know I will think of something!

kubotaman
01-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Well the results are in! I cut a piece today 15 inches long and it did come out. Poor at best. I gave up since there really isn't much of a profit in it, and as I said I can't afford to put a whole lot of time in on it. Thanks for all the suggestions!