View Full Version : Best drill bits to buy?

anothernewbie
02-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Hi,

We mainly cut/drill into plastics and aluminum. We are looking to buy a drill bit set and were wondering what brand others have had the best luck with?

McMaster sells sets of Viking bits with 1/4 &1/2 shanks
Thanks,

dlcw
02-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I've been using Amana boring bits for almost 3 years with great success. I went away from regular drill bits as they just didn't work well for me on the CNC.

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5357-brad-point-boring-bits-70mm-long-10mm-x-30mm-shank-right-hand.aspx

anothernewbie
02-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks Don, these bits look to be mainly used for woods and composites?

Do you use them for aluminum and plastics as well? or have another suggestion?
Thanks,

dlcw
02-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Yes - I use them for wood and composites. If you were to contact the company at the link I embedded, they just might have bits specifically for plastics and metals. I'm pretty sure they do.

anothernewbie
02-08-2012, 03:40 PM
So we ordered the Viking bits, and even after 2 Mc Master's people telling us they all had the same shank when they arrived only the larger bits were shanked down to 1/4 and the smaller bits were just straight shafts. Luckily they are going to refund our money and pay to ship them back, as well as update their catalog.

So we are still on the lookout for a set of bits that all has the same size shank, to fit our collet. They had mentioned using a hex set of bits, like the quick change kind and find an adapter that would fit the collet. I didn't know if anyone else had done/ does this??