PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Pyramid Raised Door Panel

mike
02-17-2012, 09:24 PM
A client has requested raised panels with four sloping sides and center of panel as the point...like a very low pyramid. 3/4" high in the center sloping down to 1/4" on the outer edges for fitting into door rails and stiles. I have never programmed such a cut. Would I use a ball nose end mill? I need help! Much thanks.

Brady Watson
02-17-2012, 10:04 PM
You first have to create the relief. You can use Aspire, ArtCAM, Rhino or other 3D package to do this. Then machine it using any 3D CAM program like PartWorks3D or similar.

Something like this?

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy8/braidmeister/PyramidDoor.jpg

-B

gc3
02-17-2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10745&hilit=pyramid

Brady Watson
02-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Good one, Gene!

-B

myxpykalix
02-17-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm thinking outloud here not being able to try this, but, assuming it is say 24" square I would take start out with a box 24x24 and section it into 4 12x12 boxes

I'd then have to node edit the boxes (disect the 4 sides) to be able to do a 2 rail sweep from a center spot along the 2 outside rails and intersect with the 2 corner rails all while sloping from a high of .75 in the center to a low of .25 on the outside edges.:confused: sorry its not a better explained or illustrated answer

The whole time i'm sitting there trying to figure this out in my head, the answer was there before i added mine...so I left the explaination, right or wrong just so i get "credit" for trying!:rolleyes:

gc3
02-17-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm thinking outloud here not being able to try this, but, assuming it is say 24" square I would take start out with a box 24x24 and section it into 4 12x12 boxes

I'd then have to node edit the boxes (disect the 4 sides) to be able to do a 2 rail sweep from a center spot along the 2 outside rails and intersect with the 2 corner rails all while sloping from a high of .75 in the center to a low of .25 on the outside edges.:confused: sorry its not a better explained or illustrated answer

The whole time i'm sitting there trying to figure this out in my head, the answer was there before i added mine...so I left the explaination, right or wrong just so i get "credit" for trying!:rolleyes:

Yes Sir you do!!!

mike
02-18-2012, 03:23 AM
Everyone...thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge!!!! The best feature on any ShopBot router is the FORUM. As you can see, I haven't posted very often, but when I ask for help ya'll are there. "Ya'll" is one of those Alabama words.

MogulTx
02-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Mike,

Shoot Buddy! ShopBot is a Southern Company- out of Raleigh-Durham. And, though they are sold around the country/world- "Ya'll" is spoken around here!