View Full Version : Flagpole

kubotaman
08-19-2009, 12:22 AM
I am just thinking out loud. Is it possible on the indexer to make a flagpole that is like a tapered cork screw but at the same time a ribbon effect? By that I mean a screw cut but not in a straght line. I would like it to be done in Aspire or the Shopbot program.

myxpykalix
08-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Here is your corkscrew but i'm unclear on what you mean by "ribbon effect"? Can you just draw out what you are envisioning, even if it is a line drawing on a paper because i'm not seeing what you are saying.

kubotaman
08-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Jack, what I mean is if you look at your picture think of the "corkscrew" being tapered from one end to another and also not being in a perfect straight line from head stock to the tail stock. In other words, it is "corkscrewed" at the same time not in a straight line. Hope I make myself clear.

myxpykalix
08-19-2009, 03:06 PM
i THINK I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. i HAVE SEEN oops offcenter turnings that accomplish the basic shape but look more like round hat boxes unevenly stacked on top of each other as opposed to what you are trying to do which might be termed a bent spiral. Visualize turning the above spiral then steam bending it to look crooked is that what you want to do?

bleeth
08-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Picture a tornado or waterspout tube!!

kubotaman
08-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Dave I think you have a visualization of what I am asking! I was just wondering what people would think of an oddball cutting like that. I would assume they would really be puzzled as to how someone could make such a thing!

myxpykalix
08-20-2009, 02:47 AM
If you mean something like this i modeled in LW i think you could make something like this with a carving toolpath strategy i think it could be done relatively easy but i think you would be wasting a lot of material.

khalid
08-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Jack..It depends, what technique he will use to avoid wastage of material..Many ways to skin the Cat without roughing the knife edge ;)

kubotaman
08-20-2009, 11:27 PM
I never meant to have the corkscrew off say more than 1.5-2 inches. That way I wouldn't be wasting a lot of material. Jack, the way I meant to cut the corkscrew is to cut with a straight bit but set the cutter to the rear side of the material. It would be set lower than the material itself and would move on the X axis. It cuts any side a fella wants and make a multi sided ribbon effect. The only problem is how do you get the y axis to move forward and backward to make the "ribbon" crooked or offset?

myxpykalix
08-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Daryl,
you know the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words"? I'm having trouble visualizing what you are describing but am interested in what you are trying to do. Take and just draw something either on paper or in a paint pgm and post it. If what you are trying to do is something like this below i think i can help you.

kubotaman
08-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Jack, your first picture is semi close. Just imagine the cut of the first picture as being the cut itself, meaning the material shape, but being multi sided. I have just bought a new camera but won't be able to upload a picture for about three days. I am not home so it makes it a little harder for me. That second picture is quite interesting!