PDA

View Full Version : flip op fence inaccuracy

chunkstyle
02-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Hello all,

I've been cutting along nicely on a couple of jobs now and just finished a rush job today.
There were a few flip op parts and I attached my flip op fences to my table. They're just some blocks of wood that snug up to the x and y edge of the table. A wing nut clamps them down.
When I cut my first flip op I noticed that the registration was off by about a thin 16th". The part needed to be overhanging the table edges by a thin 16th" to have proper registration.
I zeroed the x and y axis using the prox switch and C3 command before I ran my parts. I've always had good accuracy in the past but not today. I will check the table to see if it has shrunk but I wondered if anyone has seen this issue with running flip ops also?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Tim

dlcw
02-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Tim,

I can say that when using ShopBot Link, I have not had good luck with flip ops whether on the sheet level or part level. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, I just don't know what it is. :(

I've done flip ops with Aspire and have had excellent results. :)

Depending on where you are and what your weather conditions are/have been I could see very small effects on table movement. I don't know how Gary Campbell did flips ops in Florida with the huge humidy issues there, but he managed to pull it off. My hats off to him.

garyc
02-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Tim..
The only problem(s) I had with the FlipOps were in my locators. The first 2 versions that I tried were not consistant.

The first version used removable blocks that bolted to my T track. The second version used air slides on 1 axis and a pop up pin in the other. I had problems with the pin.

My last version solved all those from earlier versions. Once I had a verified, repeatable location, flipops became easy. For those that havent seen it: http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php/2010/06/table-index-revisited/

Tim, Give me a call in the morning.